Chapter 3: The Devil's Goal

Start from the beginning

"Are you satisfied yet? I may have refrain myself from hurting you, but the Foul Legacy still took a huge toll on your body. Even without hurting you, it's only a matter of time before your body finally breaks apart." Lucifer reminds Childe.

Childe laughs. "Even when we're fighting, you're still worried about me." Childe says, understanding Lucifer's true meaning of his cheeky words. "But you're right. So..." Childe prepares himself for his last and most powerful attack.

"Let's see if you can handle this without moving!"

A Hydro whale--coupled with Electro flashing around it--launched itself to the sky from the ground behind Childe and falls on top of Lucifer who just stood there and took the brunt of the attack head on.

Giant waves of water flows everywhere with it being enveloped by electricity, as a result from his attack. Childe was forced to revert back to normal, panting and groaning in pain from the aftereffects of the Foul Legacy Transformation. While he is resting, he tries to spot for any signs of Lucifer, trying to see if he manage to make Lucifer move from his spot or not.

When the water clears, there he is, standing tall where he previously stood and drenched from up to bottom. Seeing Lucifer drenched makes Childe's last and most powerful attack looks like a prank to soak his teacher.

Childe laughs at the sight, which only make him hissed in pain even more. "Urgh, laughing is a bad idea." Childe says as he groans in pain even more.

"I'd like to help you get up, Ajax." Lucifer says, as he dries himself by enveloping himself with dark flames. "But you know I can't risk it." Lucifer says apologetically as he kept a considerable distance between him and Childe.

Childe chuckled and hissed in pain once more. "Nahh, it's fine. I get it. I mean you can't help it with your circumstances. Even the Tsaritsa can't even stand being in the same room with you, let alone touch you without getting hurt." Childe says as he force himself to stand up, but fails to do so. "You know what? I'm just going to rest up for a bit first. Why don't we catch up for a bit while I'm at it?" Childe says.

"First off, let's talk about your investigation with the Guuji. Do you think she have something to do with the Balladeer going rogue?" Childe asked curiously.

Lucifer took a large cigarette from his pocket and lights it up, before putting it between his lips. He took a puff from it, before blowing a strange crimson red smoke out in the air.

"I can't say for certain yet." Lucifer says as he tries to get his cigar's smoke as far away as possible from Childe. "If she's telling the truth, then we can just leave it at that. If not, then she would be one of the best liars I've ever met since I escaped from that hell."

Childe chuckles. "It's rare of you to be struggling on reading someone's behavior. Usually that's your expertise." Childe says with a grin. "Well, I guess this investigation might take a little while longer then. But the other Harbingers might get tired of waiting and attempt to interrogate her forcefully. And by that, I meant through violent method."

Lucifer nods at that as he took another smoke from his cigarette. His eyes drift off to the direction of Miko's home in silence.

Lucifer remembered it very clearly as the memory is still fresh in his mind. Miko was the only other person other than Childe, who manage to stay in the same room with him for a long period of time. It's true that Miko stays with him for her own selfish reason, but in the end what matters is that she treated him like a human being and Lucifer ended up having fun with their conversation anyway. It's more surprising how Miko could stay sane throughout the whole conversation, even to the point of in the verge of her corruption without showing any signs of it. Even the Tsaritsa herself still had trouble suppressing the resentment naturally growing against Lucifer.