"What we love, janem, holds power over us," she mumbles and clasps her fingers around the head-chain, looking away from him up to the heavens. "Then the power either saves us or destroys us."

Her attention returns to him when she notices the queen approaching the men. They stop, talk about something, and Adam says something to Arwa to which she tips her head before saying something back and he nods. He then says something to Taha who tips his head at him too.

Noura leans forward on the wooden handrail. She doesn't need to ask to know that the tension is thick in the air. The general leaves them alone, and Adam escorts Arwa inside. She's left watching the drizzle over the gardens now, the flowers dancing in the breeze and somewhere birds chirping as they fly towards their shelters. She closes her eyes and inhales deeply.

"Who is it I love when I love you but don't know you? What love is it? What name do I give it?" She leaves the balcony and enters her chamber, leaving the doors open as she walks towards bed, dropping the head chain there. "Why is there an arrow shot through my heart from your bow? If I leave it there, I bleed. If I pull it out, I die. What is the remedy to this dilemma? What is the answer to your riddle?"

She goes to open her closet and takes out a box. She removes the lid and finds the crystal crescent moon pendant lying in it-- a pendant she had seen in the bazar of Isfahan and Al Shafay had send it to her. Noura picks it up and holds it against her palm. The crystal shines different shades-- shades numerous and changing similar to the people around her.

"Al Shafay, and who are you, my Khalifa? What is it that everyone hints about you to me but my heart won't succumb to it?"

She comes to sit on the bed and looks down at the head-chain, her thoughts spiraling in territory of dangerous possibilities.

"Adam, this hope that somewhere you're a good man who has saved me than a bad man who has bluffed me burns within me. This hope will kill me. My love for you will kill me, janem."

A knock comes at the door. She places the pendent in the box and puts it aside before granting permission to the person to come in. He walks in seconds afterwards with a fleeting smile.

"Noura."

She stands up and returns his smile as he comes to hold her close, putting his hands over her arms.

"So you finally think of me," she reprimands lightly.

"I do so always, azizi."

"Lies."

She tries to step back but he takes her in his arms, kissing atop her head. She gives in easily with a sigh.

"I worry so much, Adam," she tells him, letting her emotions pour out to him. "I'm so scared."

Adam pulls away to look at her, the creases between his eyebrows showing his own concern. "What are you scared of?"

"Time. The way it takes away people from us. The way it changes feelings. It breaks hearts."

"It mends them too."

She shakes her head. "But I'm lonely."

He takes her face in his hands, gazing at her lovingly. "You've me, farasha."

"No, Adam. No matter how close you come to me, you always have something obscure about you-- hidden, cryptic, sinister. I'm afraid you too will break my heart," she voices feebly, toying with his armor and unable to meet his eyes.

He tips up her chin so their gazes are forced battle, but his orbs retain their adoration towards her.

"Even if I'm dark, Noura, I'm lonely without you too. So only if you'll have me, I'll welcome all you can give me. Only if you allow me to be with you, maybe we can share this loneliness and it won't be as scary. I would never break your heart, not intentionally."