6

━━━━━━

━━━━━━

     AYA WOKE UP TO a soothing embrace, to which dōma had greeted the girl with his usual smile and playful tone.

"ah, you're awake, aya-chan! I almost thought that you were going to die of a fever", he casually joked.

     "fever..."

     "mhm! you must've caught a cold when you were out playing in the rain with rui. you shouldn't do that again", dōma advised, as aya just gave him a curt nod.

     "sleep...how long?", aya asked, rubbing her eyes, as dōma had gently set her down on top of her futon.

     "a day and a half", dōma replied, pressing his chilling hand against the seven year-old's forehead to see if her fever had completely gone down.

     "oh...and you?"

     "I've been holding you for a day and a half", dōma straightforwardly answered, as aya snapped her head towards the demon with a face full of shock.

     "rest??", she questioned.

     "rest? well yes, you did get a lot of rest", dōma stupidly chuckled.

     "no, you rest!"

     "ah, demons don't need to rest. you see, we have an unlimited amount of stam—"

     aya conjured up the last bit of energy that she had, as she jumped into dōma's embrace, nearly about to sob.

     "hm? is something wrong, aya-chan?? did you want me to continue holding you? as much as I'd love to, I missed a day of duties already", dōma ingenuously said.

     "dōma...special...", aya mumbled, hugging the demon even tighter, as dōma patted aya's back.

     "I kno—"

"to me", aya completed, causing dōma to ponder what the girl had meant.

he understood that he provided everything the child could possibly need. however, if that's what had made him special to her, he had thought that that was pathetic.

'humans are just too easy to bribe and manipulate'.

it made him wonder if she'd leave him for someone else if they were to be able to provide the same necessities for her as he does.