1

━━━━━━

━━━━━━

     THE SNOW CRUNCHED with every desperate step that the young girl took. breaths of warm air dispersed into the cold with each huff, as the frigid breeze consistently dried out the child's tears.

     her hair was beyond tousled. it was sullied with dried blood and dirt accompanied by clumps of melting snow that had managed to stick onto the strands of beige hair.

     a man almost three times her size came chasing after her, forcing her towards a road she has never taken before.

     though to be fair, she had never been out of the village that was currently being devoured by bandits.

"GET BACK HERE, YOU LITTLE SHIT!", one of the bandits yelled, holding a torch that lit his path for the most part.

after all, none of the two could see the demon feasting on a woman before them, even with the flames encircling their vicinity.

     the raggedy girl rubbed her eyes for the hundredth time, as she squinted them, not being able to make out what exactly was in front of her.

     every tree that she dashed by seemed to all merge into a blur, and with the sky so dark, there was no telling unless she got closer.

     praying that it was another civilian, the child urged her fatigued legs to bring her a little further, just a little more.

     upon hearing someone's footsteps pitter-patter towards him, dōma had tilted his head around, licking his lips, as he was in the middle of a meal.

a child who looked no older than five (even though she's actually seven), had reached her hands out in haste, grabbing onto the demon's back.

puffs of air escaped her lips, but no sound came out.

her malnourished hands gripped so tightly that dōma was sure that it would almost create a hole in his deep red turtleneck.

"hm? what're you running from, little one?", dōma casually asked, as if the blood of the innocent wasn't trickling down his chin.

the little girl — who couldn't find the courage to even speak — had just stared at dōma, momentarily entranced by the rainbow eyes, and the words: upper rank two.

"YOU...", the bandit panted, taking in large quantities of air, as his shaky finger pointed at the tattered child.

"YOU THINK THAT YOU'RE FINALLY SAFE AFTER FINDING SOMEONE?! WELL LET ME TELL YO—"