26

CHARLOTTE HAD never felt so instantly connected to someone in her life, and she'd been in a lot of relationships. Kaitlyn was different from anyone who she'd ever met, and it was such a good thing. They sat in the living room, while Rosalie and Beth were getting dressed for their date.

Abbi was watching cartoons, and Kaitlyn sat next to Charlotte with her arm wrapped around her shoulder, "are you sure you want to leave all of this behind?" Charlotte asked, "I mean, you just met me."

"I'm not asking you to marry me, Charlotte. I'm just courting you," Kaitlyn raised a brow. Charlotte sighed. She wasn't sure that she could allow Kaitlyn to sacrifice so much for her.

"In Chicago. Have you ever even been to Chicago?" Charlotte asked.

Kaitlyn nodded. She's just being insecure, "a few times. It's not a big deal, Charlotte. I travel all the time. I'd love to spend time with you, okay?" Kaitlyn looked into those blue eyes, and saw worry, "I'll rent an apartment, or stay at a hotel. I just want to be close to you."

Charlotte said, "I would love for you to stay with me, but it's so soon. I don't know, I'm afraid that moving too fast would ruin it."

"I agree. But I'm moving to Chicago, at least for a little while. I'll still have to travel a bit though," Kaitlyn explained.

Charlotte caressed Kaitlyn's cheek with the pad of her thumb. It would be so wonderful to have you permanently in my life, "why does this feel like one of those rom-coms? Where the girl meets this amazing woman, and falls for her almost instantly?" Charlotte asked.

Kaitlyn bit down on her bottom lip. She's falling for me? "I don't know. Maybe that's what a good relationship is all about. Look at my two daughters. Their love story is an odd one."

"But a fairytale, no less."

Kaitlyn nodded. If Alex had to be a part of it for Rosalie and Beth to end up together, then it was all worth it, "they're what I wish I could have. But I'm too old now. Not sure I can have the fairytale anymore," Kaitlyn said.

"Who says?" Charlotte whispered, placing the tip of her index finger against Kaitlyn's chin, "there won't be anymore kids, but I think you can have it all too," I hope it's with me, honestly.

"I've put love on the back of my mind for so many years. Hell, I was my daughter's wing woman when she was younger, and I've probably slept with more women than I can count on a chart," Kaitlyn explained.

Charlotte quirked a brow. Really now? "You really are a player, huh? I better be careful then," Charlotte said.

Kaitlyn weakly smiled. Fuck, I probably shouldn't have brought that up, "I've never been in a relationship with a woman. Sure, I've slept with them. But—" Kaitlyn swallowed, "after my divorce, I couldn't put myself through that again, neither with a man, nor a woman."

"I get it. Trusting someone is one of the hardest things to do sometimes. I've had my fair share of heartbreaks, even with men when I was younger. I've tried so hard to be someone that I'm not, that I'm at the point in my life where I only do what makes me happy, and you make me happy, Kaitlyn."

"Granny, is she your girlfriend now?" Kaitlyn looked at her granddaughter with tears in her eyes. She nodded with a smile, "does this mean I have four grannies now?"

Charlotte arched a brow. Four grandmothers? Where did she get so much from?

"Not quite, honey," Kaitlyn said and placed her hands in Abbi's, trying to calm down the thumping in her heart, "you only have three grannies for now."

Abbi frowned, "but I want four grannies. If Henry can get three mommies, I need more grannies."

Beth walked out of the room with her arms crossed over her chest. Is she trying to be competitive with her brother?