23

EVERYONE SETTLED in the living room to watch some television. Rosalie sat back, while Beth rested her head onto her lap. Henry and Yasmin were cuddled up next to each other on the other couch, while Alex sat on the far end of it. Alex looked at Beth and Rosalie with an uneasy feeling inside of her chest. Even she had to admit that they seemed made for eachother. Charlotte had taken a shower, and was having a conversation with Kaitlyn in the kitchen, while they drank wine.

When Abbi came out of the bedroom, yawning and rubbing her eyes, Beth immediately got up, "Mama, I can't sleep," she walked over, and got onto the couch with her mothers. Taking Beth's place on Rosalie's lap, she curled into a ball, "mommy, tell me the story of when you and mama first kissed. It's the only story you know," Abbi requested.

Rosalie smiled and ran her fingers through her daughter's hair. Beth leaned against Rosalie's shoulder, as she took a deep breath. Even though Rosalie was still a bit drunk, she was capable of telling the story that she'd told Abbi numerous times over the years.

Alex looked at them, feeling herself becoming irritated once again. She leaned back, and closed her eyes, as Rosalie began the story, "it was Henry's eighteenth birthday party. He looked so old, I thought he was forty," Abbi giggled, "everyone was swimming, and your aunt Zoe had on the tiniest bikini, I thought I was on Baywatch."

Thank god she's not here, I'd be getting teased for noticing her sexy body. Abbi still didn't know what Baywatch was. Thank god.

Kaitlyn and Charlotte stood by the door that connected the kitchen and living room, as they listened to the story too, "Zoe's Rosalie's ex-girlfriend," Kaitlyn whispered and Charlotte nodded.

"I was so upset, and I wanted to leave the party, and even your mama told me to leave," Rosalie said sadly, "I didn't want her to be upset with me, so I followed her into the kitchen."

Alex had never heard the story before. But she remembered that day. That was the day when Rosalie had shown Alex a ringless finger—Rosalie was upset because of the argument that they had.

"Mommy, why were you upset?" Abbi asked.

That's a new question from her. Rosalie smiled weakly, as she remembered the reason why, "I'd just broken up with someone that I once loved very much," that seems so long ago.

Charlotte noticed Alex looking at them, tears falling from her eyes. She nudged Kaitlyn, and directed her where to look, "it's complicated," Kaitlyn said with a sigh.

Rosalie continued, "but still it was one of the best days of my life. In the kitchen, your mama seemed so torn. I wanted to take away her pain. What I didn't know was that she wanted to make kissy faces," Rosalie lightened the mood by tickling Abbi's sides. Looking up at Alex, her own emotions got the best of her. When Beth noticed, her left eye began twitching again.

"Why were you torn, mama?"

Beth looked at her daughter and swallowed. She felt her heart hurting, "because I really wanted to kiss your mommy, and that's exactly what I did," Beth forced a smile, before getting up, and wiping her eyes. Heading into the kitchen, Kaitlyn and Charlotte followed her over to the fridge. Beth held onto the fridge so tightly that her knuckles became white.

"Honey, are you okay?" Kaitlyn asked. Beth shook her head, as tears trickled down her cheeks. She tried to calm herself down, but her breathing became even more heavy.

"You think she still loves her?" Beth whimpered.

Kaitlyn placed her hand on Beth's shoulder. She'd never heard such insecure words leave her daughter-in-law's lips, "no, I don't. I think that she loved her. But Rosalie loves you, Beth."