22

THERE WEREN'T many days when her smile was as bright as it was. After meeting Kaitlyn, Charlotte was sure that the town was more diverse than she'd remembered. It had been years since Charlotte had entered that town, too many actually. But she'd finally made it back to the place where she'd grown up.

Heading into the bed and breakfast that she was staying at, she noticed a blonde sitting behind the desk. Her eyes were buried in a magazine. The tips of her fingers brushed against the spine, and as her eyes fluttered over the words, Charlotte's memory found recognition.

Maura could feel someone's eyes on her. Removing her eyes from her subject, and glancing around the room, when her eyes met Charlotte's, she immediately plastered a smile on her face, "Good Afternoon, Miss, do you have a reservation?" Maura asked.

Charlotte felt nostalgia when Maura spoke. Maura had a specific ring in her tone, one which no one could forget, "yes, I already checked in late last night. I'm just back in from a walk, and some coffee."

Maura nodded in understanding. She didn't work the previous night, so Aunt Grace must have handled Charlotte's arrival, "oh, okay. Is there anything I can do for you?" Maura asked.

Charlotte couldn't blame Maura for not recognizing her. The last time that they'd seen each other, all those years ago, Charlotte had jet black hair, and braces to go with her skinny figure. After almost thirty years, Charlotte finally had perfect, white teeth, and golden highlights in her hair. But Maura hadn't changed too much. Her youthfulness still glowed in the dimness of the room's lighting, and those almond eyes were yet to become dull.

Charlotte was surprised that Maura was still in that little town though. If she remembered correctly, Maura dreamt of pursuing a future that was far beyond anyone's reach in a town like that one. Charlotte said, "no, just heading to my room. Dinner's at seven, right?"

Maura's eyes met Charlotte's once more. And she couldn't deny the feeling of familiarity. Maybe, the woman was a guest before, or she'd seen too many faces that she was becoming confused, "it is," Maura responded.

"Thanks—"

"Maura," I knew that already, "it's a pleasure."

Heading up the stairs, Charlotte admired the framed photographs along the wall. She wasn't familiar with most of the faces, but there were a few that she'd seen before. It wasn't her first time at Grace's Bed and Breakfast, but that time she was an actual guest.

Entering her room, she walked over to the window that overlooked the backyard. Charlotte remembered the days when her little feet would become sore from running around. It brought a smile to her lips. Pulling the curtains together, and looking around the room, she decided to take a shower and change into something comfortable.

"DINNER'S ALMOST done. Take a seat," Maura told Charlotte. She noticed Grace taking a few too many glances at Charlotte. For sure, there was something familiar about her, "so what are you in town for, if I may ask?" Maura questioned.

Charlotte grabbed a seat, and crossed her ankles. She took a glance around the kitchen, realizing that it hadn't changed either. Everything was almost the same, except for minor renovations, "oh, I'm visiting family," Charlotte answered. Her tone seemed a bit irritated, yet there was a bright smile on her face. Grace noticed it, and Maura did too. Family, huh? I bet I'd know whoever they are.

"That's nice," Grace said. Charlotte leaned back, and checked her phone. She'd already met her family, and spent a few hours with them that day, and was heading over the next day. Since it was a few days after Christmas, her mother had already given her a lecture for not making it for the day itself.

"Charlotte, do you have any relation to Velma Summers?" Grace asked and Charlotte nodded. If she suspected correctly, Charlotte was the same little girl who once ran around in her backyard.