"Tonight It Ends"

I watched myself in the mirror. It was the first time in three years, that I wore a dress. And I...liked what I saw. It was a beautiful yet simple gown in off-white. It was made of silk and copied the style of an ancient Greek tunic with its many folds. My fingers slid over the fabric, liking how it felt: cold and smooth.

"You are a goddess, mo ghaoil", the hoarse voice of my destined commented. I met his gaze in the mirror. His eyes were full of love and admiration. A warm feeling exploded in my chest.

"Thank you, my love", I answered softly, touched by his honest and sincere feelings and  tenderness. Gaisgeil embraced me from behind, showering me with kisses down my neck. I closed my eyes, enjoying his caresses.

I knew now, that I was the only girl in his life. The only girl that moved and touched his heart. Call me what you want - selfish, lacking self-confidence, immature -  but  I needed this proof of love to give myself completely to Gaisgeil. I couldn't commit to somebody who wouldn't put me first.

"Come, my love, let's face the demon. Perhaps it just needs to get his head choped off...", he said nonchalant, as if talking about the weather.

I observed, how he moved to the door - proud and self confident. He knew exactly who he was. The clothes he was given, fit him perfectly. Their Sapientis had a good eye and taste.

My destined was all power, smugness and male beauty and I felt the pride of „ownership". As he turned around to let me pass through the door, he saw my feelings mirrored on my facial features.

Gaisgeil smiled. „I love to see your pride and love for me and that you finally accepted, that I am only yours. There'll never be another, mo ghaoil."

He took my hand, kissing my knuckles. We shared a last deep look, before opening the door to face our fate. As we went outside the door, the guards bowed to us.

One man stepped forward. „Mylord, you are expected in the great hall, I'll lead the way, if it's alright with you?"

Gaisgeil nodded and we followed behind the guard through the hall. „Oh, could we please pick up our friend Yrina? It's the Laidir warrior. She has a quarter near us..."

The guard nodded, putting his fist on his heart. My eyes widened at his gesture. I saw Gaisgeil's calculating eyes on the man. You would only show this gesture of loyalty to your own master, never to another. Although Gaisgeil was the Lord of Desa, he wasn't the master of the soldiers and guards here. Yes, he demanded utter respect, but not the ultimate demonstration of loyalty. You couldn't be loyal to several parties, only one. 

This guard showed openly, that his loyalty wasn't with Keallach but the Lord. Interesting and... exciting news. What if the majority of people hated Keallach enough to turn against him?

„What's your name?", Gaisgeil wanted to know. The man straightened up, surprised by the question. Normally am man of Gaisgeil's status didn't ask for the names of the people below  him, simply because in this world they were insignificant, as cruel as that sounds. It was the harsh truth. 

„Mylord, Kane is my name", he bowed. 

 „So, Kane, is Keallach a good master and bailiff?"

Kane was taken aback again. His eyes widened and you could easily read his thoughts. The Lord of Desa wants to hear MY opinion?

The man cleared this throat. "Mylord, my opinion in this matter is irrelevant."

Gaisgeil exhaled. He laid his hand on the man's shoulder. "It will be, because things in Desa will change, Kane, and than your opinion will be just as relavant as any man's and woman's opinion.