50. Beauty in Strength

Nephele

Since the day in the lavender field had exposed Eris and my attachment to my father, I was fresh out of reasons not to tell everyone about our bond. In truth, it hadn't all been fear of my father finding out.

Part of me had been afraid of the title of mate. It was so weighted, so strong, so vulnerable. It wasn't an intensity I minded in private, but to tell others of what we had... it had intimidated me.

But it doesn't scare me anymore.

In fact, the only thing I'm scared of is the very real possibility of Cressida killing me for keeping this a secret.

"Cress, love," I address her warily. "Your eye is twitching."

"I'm trying not to flood this treehouse," she grinds her teeth. "Which is lovely by the way. I do so adore how you deigned your keep you and your mate's secret getaway home away from me. Oh, and how you conserved the fact that you have a mate at all."

I wince. "It wasn't for lack of trust- I promise," I don't dare reach for her hand. "Up until now, these things had been dangerous for you to know. As is, Lucien only knew because he guessed."

Her eyes narrow. "Lucien knew?" She fumes.

"That's besides the point," I smile warily. "When we decided it was okay to tell people, you were at the top of my list. We haven't even told Delia yet."

"I hate you, Nephele Speirling Vansera," she vows.

"Cress-"

"I hate you because you have a mate and a perfect house," she meets my gaze, still frowning. "And I hate you because I'm still so happy for you."

A smile breaks across my face, then it breaks across hers a second later. Then, she springs into my waiting arms, squealing about how much she hates me. "I'm serious, I've been single for a couple dozen decades and you've only been out and about for what- six months?" She hugs me tight. "And you're the one who gets a mate. It's not fair."

I laugh as she pouts. "I'm so glad I can finally tell you," I burrow my head into her neck, near tears. I hadn't realized the emotions behind what I was at last telling her until the words left my mouth. In truth, I had always wanted her to know, despite my wariness.

"You can make it up for me by telling me every detail," she says, pulling back. "Let's talk ceremony."

I wince. "Let's not."

Her brow furrows. "You don't want to accept the bond?"

"It's not that," I interject quickly. "It's just... I want to wait until I've sorted everything out with my father, so I can really enjoy the ceremony."

She smirks like I've just made an admission of guilt. Maybe I have. "You want to fuck him for a month straight."

I groan. "Maybe," is all I concede. "I don't want to rush the bond just so we can get back to work and and be cranky about not being able to enjoy each other as much."

"You don't need to explain it to me, love," she holds her hands up. "I'd probably do the same thing if I were you."

I bury my head in my hands blushingly. "Now I just need to figure out a way to tell Eris' mom that without seeming like a complete Nymph-"

"Hey," Cress interrupts, nudging me. "My last fling was a nymph. He was nicer than half the high fae men I've been with- a lot more fun too."

"Fair enough," I reply. "But still, I'm not sure what to do."

Cress rolls her eyes. "It's not like she thinks you and Eris have a relationship that's even a little vanilla," she points out. "No one does."

My eyes go wide. "Are we really that obvious?"