18 - Sometimes I Think

Start from the beginning

Wait, how long has it been since I woke up on a normal morning? Like, back in Lonely Star?

Maybe a week, given how we discovered we could use magic, which isn't normal at all.

How long has it been since we jumped from Lonely Star?

"Where ... are we?" I manage to groan. Hair lightly tickles my face and I can dimly see a blonde girl leaning over me.

As I open my eyes all the way, I see it's Leilani. "Oh, good," she breathes, "Nia's pretending to still be out, but we all know she's awake. Her eyes are moving."

"No, where are we!" I sit up. The room rotates around me, and I close my eyes before everything settles.

"How interesting," remarks a chilled voice, "I thought they only say that in movies."

In a corner, Aquaria is hunched over, her chin propped on her knees, her electric blue hair hanging over her face. She doesn't even twitch.

"That's the first thing she's said since she woke up," Leilani says in a businesslike manner, "impressive. And uh ... I don't really know where we are."

I realize how close I am to Leilani and kind of blush and twist my head to the side so she doesn't see it, but of course Nia does. My twin smirks knowingly before examining her chipped nail polish and frowning, picking at the neon green polish.

"What do you mean, when did you wake up?" I say, glancing around and rubbing at the crick in my neck. We're in a windowless cell. There are no bars, nothing. No way to escape.

"Just now," Leilani answers, "I don't know when she woke up," she indicates the bluenette sulking in the corner, who just shoots Leilani a glare.

Nia gets up and shuffles over to the reinforced metal door. She places her mouth to the crack, "Should I scream?" she inquires. Nia has a natural talent for loud screeching, as all of us know from painful experience.

"It's sealed," I remark dryly, "but go ahead."

"Don't, you'll injure my ears!" Leilani says hastily, forgetting the primary rule that Nia and I follow; we do the opposite of whatever we're told. Luckily, Nia does not screech, just shoots Leilani a nasty glare.

I attempt unsuccessfully to ignore the chaos, wondering if I can sleep while they yammer away. Hey, I've slept through a Vienna-versus-Leo fight, and those are nasty, so I bet I could fall asleep, but there are other variables to consider ...

 Hey, I've slept through a Vienna-versus-Leo fight, and those are nasty, so I bet I could fall asleep, but there are other variables to consider

Pisces

I watch as Carina tries to wake Scorpio with growing levels of frustration. I consider asking her to pass the popcorn. I also consider asking her if we really have to wake him up and wouldn't it be nicer if the Evil One stayed asleep, but I don't want to get punched in the face by a feral brunette with a temper.