|Chapter Three|

|Recap|

"Me and the boys are going to hunt down that wolf." Dad said, turning around to watch her reaction.

"W-What?" Aura asked in disbelief. She couldn't believe her ears.

"They placed a reward on the person who shoots it down first and hands it to Sheriff Lain. If I shoot it then they'll give me a thousand dollars." Her dad said with a grin and turned around, continuing on his way to the car. Aura stayed silent as her dad talked more about about the reward money. She didn't feel right knowing her dad was going to shoot yet another animal.

A mere animal that didn't know any better than a baby.

Aura gulped, "When are you going?"

"Tomorrow morning and you're coming with me!"

*

As her fathers words sinked in, Aura's mind went blank. Before she could even respond, her father had already continued on his way to the truck with a dead deer hung on his shoulders.

What the hell, she thought in her head. Is he really thinking of hunting a wolf? For only a reward of a thousand dollars?

Aura's family wasn't poor, but they were far from rich. She could've left for a four year college if she wanted to, but she had no such desire. She knew her parents had the money to support her but she felt that 14 years of education was enough for a small town girl like herself. Her parents have enough money saved in their savings that could last them the next 5 years. So Aura knew that this wasn't about the reward money but for a man's pride.

"They told you something didn't they dad?" Aura questioned.

Their town was small so everyone knew each other, at the local bar her father would meet up with friends, and some who were..."acquaintances". These acquaintances would constantly brag about their kids, money, women, and their prey.

Being surrounded by forests is a beautiful sight to see when you wake up or take a drive. The men in this town only think of the dozens of animals they get to hunt down with their guns. Aura despised this.

Her father sighed, finally putting the deer in the back of his truck and looking back at Aura with tired eyes. "Is it so bad to have a bit of competition?"

"Dad!-"

"Look Aura, a man like me reaching his 50's is getting old and tired of the same old things. News of a wolf makes my blood boil with excitement, i'm tired of catching deer and rabbits. I'm hunting that wolf whether you and your mom say no. Now get in, we're going home."

*

"Look what i've got!" Dad carried in the deer through the door of the house as if it were a trophy. Aura could only walk behind him looking like a wet puppy with her pale blonde hair sticking to her face.

"It's bigger than the last one, wow!" Giselle yelled in excitement  then glanced at Aura and flinched, "You scared me, why are you so...wet? You look like the grudge."

Aura rolled her eyes, "the grudge has black hair stupid, and it rained when we got back that's why."

Before she could hear one of Giselle's wonderful comebacks, Aura fled to her room, locking the door behind her. The sky had turned cloudy and grim. And the sound of rain hit her window constantly, blurring out the sounds of pots in the kitchen. Yet Aura could still hear the sound of bones breaking underneath the heavy knife her father wielded in order to cut the deer.

Bang

Aura closed her eyes and covered her ears.

Bang

Bang

Bang!

Aura gasped and looked at the direction of her door. Had she heard correctly? Or was it her imagination? Another bang sounded on her door with the voice of her mother following it.

"Aura! You didn't take off your shoes and now the floors are all wet, mop it up! Oh, and clean your room it's a mess."

Aura shook her head and calmed her breathing, "Okay, mom. Oh wait-" Aura reached out and opened her door. Her mother looked back with questioning eyes. "um, did dad tell you?"

"Tell me what?"

"Dad's friends are going to hunt the wolf tomorrow and dad wants to tag along with them. You should convince him not to." Aura knew her mother's words were like traffic signals. A yes from her was the green light. A no was a red light and there was no getting past that unless you wanted a ticket out of the house.

"Hmm, he did mention that. I think it's fine, they'll all have guns. What can one wolf do?"

Aura could only stare at her mother as if she had three heads. She hadn't expected her mother to say that. She held in her frustration and bid her mother goodnight.

"Aren't you going to eat before you sleep?" Mom asked confused.

Aura sighed, "You know I don't eat meat."

Mom laughed and rolled her eyes. "That's right, I always forget. Alright then, night night."

That night Aura had a nightmare.

Aura stood in the middle of the forest with her father and three of his other friends surrounding her. They all carried guns while she was empty handed.

It was colder than ever before. In her whole 20 years of living she had never felt so cold. Her whole body shivered, and goosebumps responded along her arms and legs.

"Dad?" Aura exclaimed, looking at her dad worried.

"Shh, it's near don't talk." Dad said reloading his gun and frequently looking around him. Seconds after, the sound of leaves crunched beneath someone's feet.

"I said shh!" Dad whispered loudly.

"It wasn't me!" Aura yelled but quickly choked on her words. In the distance, her vision locked on a big black wolf staring at her group with deep hunger in his eyes.

What can one wolf do?

Her mother's words resounded in her dream before all hell broke loose. It was a massacre. Blood...it filled her line of vision everywhere. Red stained the pure white snow she always loved. Her screams were stuck in her throat and her eyes were dry from the coldness as she watched her dad and friends die one by one until it was finally her turn. The canines of the wolf slowly came down upon her, and she welcomed her fate with arms open wide.

* * * *

I know, it's a miracle! I've finally updated after like two years hallelujah! So many things have happened during these two years and I never once thought of going back to writing for this story again. I left when I thought nobody really cared about this story. It only had 2K reads and now that I'm back it now almost has 15K. I'm seriously mind blown, that's without uploading any chapters. Nothing. Nada.

Anyways I'm not back for the reads! I'm here to help improve my creativity and writing style. I'm not sure if anyone is still reading this. I think a lot of people are mad at me for being gone for so long and not saying anything as well as for not updating lol (please don't be) but if you are still reading I hope you enjoy, this story is just for me to spill the fantasies from my head and have fun while doing so. Commentary is awesome and it'll help me in the long run and a nice "welcome back" wouldn't be too bad either (unless you want to throw tomatoes at my head that's fine too.)

p.s, I wrote this in one go and posted it as soon as I found a good stopping point, i'll probably come back to edit later if there are mistakes. Also another chapter will be uploaded soon, (unless something unexpected happens) half of it is already done :)