Chapter six: storytime

"Wake up!" The high pinched scream breaks through to her. The next thing she realises is that there is a terribly loud knock directly beside her ear. "What" she grows as she slowly opens her eyes. Then the realisation hits her. The room is dark. Outside the sun has set and the stars are shining bright as ever. Now her eyes fall onto a small and slim figure eyeing her from the end of her bed. "Mira. Have you lost your mind?" "You said we would talk today and I need to talk." Mira gives her a look she would see even if there was no light at all. Her big blue eyes widen and fill with tears. "Well come on then. Tell me what is it you so desperately need to get of your chest." Louisa gives her little sister a reassuring smile, sits up and pulls her closer to the pillows piled on her side. "I worry about you Lou." Mira looks her sister straight in the eyes. "What? Why would you be." Louisa's eyes fill with concern. But it fades with her sister's next word. "You barely speak at dinner or anytime you are around people. I do not want you to become that you again. I like the happy you." Well it may be said that Louisa's concern did not fade, it is now focused in a different way. She had not noticed this change in her character. She never did before. She fears she never will. "Please, I want to keep my happy sister. The one who talks to me who does not close herself off from everyone. Please stay." Those sad words take Louisa back to the time she first closed herself off. Mirabella was 12 Louisa herself was 16. She had only heard about it from her parents what a great mistake it had been. How it had affected her role in society. Mira had never said a thing. Not when it happened the second time, two years ago around Cameron's wedding. Why had she not realised. As a sister and her sisters confidante, she should have noticed. She feels the tears forming in her eyes and rolling down her cheeks. The next thing she realises are Mira's arms wrapped around her. "It is not your fault." Mira whispers calmly in her ears. She is not the child Louisa often sees in her. "I should have seen it, noticed how you were feeling" she sobs. "And I should have told you. Just please promise me you are going to fight it." "I will. I promise." They hug again a close, a tight one representing the bond found again, strengthened again in this moment. "Now back to the important topic of the evening, me" Mira chuckles. A warm chuckle that takes over Louisa in a second. They smile. "So what is." Mira takes a deep breath "I need your advice." She does not wait but continues. "There is this boy..." "god no." She is interrupted "I was hoping not to." "Well there is, you have not forgotten right. We had a little chat at the dinner and well, he showed up and we talked. He is sweet and I think him kind." "So you like him." "Yes I believe so. But I do not know wether to pursue this spark of mutual liking." "Why should you not? If he turns out to not be what you think him to be you can always let him go."
"I know but I was thinking me somewhat dating him might put you in a bad light for our parents." Louisa melts at those words. She forgot her and yet Mira is selfless enough to ask her for allowance to date a boy she really likes. "Of course you can see him. I want you to be happy and mother and father will be happy first before they turn to me so I will be prepared." "Thank you, so much. You really are the best sister ever" Mira places a peck on her sisters forehead. "And if you need any advice I am here for you." "And when you do so will I." Mira answers as she leaves Louisa's bedroom. Louisa decides to shower first and then or simultaneously think. As she feels the water pouring down on her she feels the thoughts leaving her head. No more pressure, fear not even joy. Her head is empty except for the now rather cold water running down her body and cleansing her mind of sorrow. When she steps out of the shower she feels free — for exactly 5 minutes then there is a knock on her door and her mother's voice asking wether she could come in. Louisa quickly finishes putting on her nightgown and allows her mother to enter. Her mother's warm and soft eyes give her a concerned look. "Dear, what is wrong?" "Nothing severe, mother, I feel a bit sick so I thought I might go to bed." Mrs. Riverstorm takes a heavy breath "Your grandparents are here, they would like to see you. Should I excuse you and tell them you will see them tomorrow?" She does no this wait for a verbal answer a look at her daughter is enough for her to wish a pleasant sleep and leave the room.