Chapter five: alright

Alright, Salia reminisces when she's finally has time to do so. The events of the day have struck her to the core. She has not even processed every interaction and choice. First of all meeting Louisa in the hallway and not recognising her. Thinking her to be a servant. A boy. Then meeting her and uncovering her secret. One that would ruin her, make Louisa lose the status she has achieved in society. And the obvious question: why did she agree to keep it for herself? She despises that perfect little darling. She can easily convince anybody and have them in her favour. She goes around flattering her eyelashes in a sweet but seductive way. Wraps men around her finger and still...This is when Salia realises why she promised to keep the secret and why she is most likely going to do so. It is because Louisa is not perfect. Because she has fears as well. Terrible ones. Salia saw this with her own eyes. The wide opened eyes nearly filled out by the deep black pupils only leaving a tiny green circle. She understands that fear of having a deep secret discovered. She was that scared once, she still sometimes is. A sense of jealousy over comes her. Louisa is very well able to hide the fear. Salia is not. Once she is in public it comes crawling up on her, making her aware of every interaction. Making them stiff and overly formal, even cold. Louisa on the other hand goes around playing the perfect young Lady and she makes it seem so easy. In her rage Salia grabs a vase and throws it against the wall.
As it shatters she wakes from her trance. She quickly picks up the pieces, sprinkled over the dark floor like icing sugar over the old cooks croissants, and throws them away. She shakes her head and reminds herself to focus. She can not go on hating the "perfect-pretty-princess" just because she can not hide what is inside. Or at least she can not hide it perfectly. Since no one has discovered her secret yet she probably has some skill of hiding it. She just can not cover the fear. She has to be better. That is why she hates Louisa. She shows her her weaknesses. Salia does not like to be weak. She can not afford it. She has to be strong. She needs to be perfect. She can not ever show...

This time it is a loud knock on her door wich pulls her out of the spiral. And again. She know the knock. It belongs to the most annoying person to ever walk the earth, right after Louisa, it is her dear friend Killian. "Come in" she yells and the door is opened and full head of black curls peaks through the gap. "Well someone looks like they just walked through a thunderstorm and then fell into a dump." He smiles and hugs her. She rolls her eyes and ruffles his curls "Something like that" she answers dryly. His playful grin is gone and replaced by a look of sorrow and concern. "What is it" "Nothing... well something but I can not tell for I promised not to" a weak smile creeps up on her face. "Oh please tell me" he begs and his puppy eyes grow big and sad. Salia now sees the 10 year old chap from their first meeting when he begged her to run away from the dinner with her. The beginning of a great friendship. "As much as I care for you and you know I care for you like you were my brother, no." He chuckles "Well you have always been a woman of your word." Salia smiles and then pushes him on the bed. His face now lies in the pillow ans as he gets up she throws another pillow at him. At some point he starts throwing pillows back and they find themselves building forts for protection from the enemy's pillows. This war continues until a servant bids them to dinner. Salia quickly brushes her hair whilst Kilian attends dinner with his curls ruffled out of place, if there ever was one. Salia is relieved when she sees that he at least straighten his clothes. Kilian is equally as relieved when there is no comment on his state, only a few critical looks. The rest of the dinner is quiet except for a bit of chatter between Salia and Kilian. After dinner Salia gets up. "Could Kilian stay over tonight?". "Of course he can" Mrs. Silverstone answers calmly.
"Why did you do this? If he keeps on staying here it is going to be even more difficult to get her a husband." Salia can overhear her father's anger. "But dear, we already have a duke. I do not believe she is going to do any better." Her mother answers and Salia can see the cheeky grin through the door.