Prelude

Somewhere at the bottom ofthe True Sea, north of Kerch and not too far off shore from Os Kervo,lived the merpeople. Though the depth of those waters were murky anddark, the place where their grand palace stood, was not. Their homewas a beautiful, bright, shimmering, huge marble underwater castlewith countless spirals and millions of seashells glistening off itswalls, windows and towers. The water surrounding it was kissed by thesun and clear as glass. Corals, fish and seastars lined the streetsand gardens.

But no human had ever seenit to tell the tale. No one has ever been able to find it or survivedthe quest to locate it. The fact, that merpeople lived in the TrueSea however, was known to anyone in Ravka and across all borders.There was the occasional sighting by fishermen or even random acts ofkindness when one of their boats had capsized and the drowning menhad been saved by the creatures of the sea. They were a kind people,who had never seen war and sought to be left alone.

These beautiful half fish,half human chimaera were ruled by a just King, who had a handful ofbeautiful daughters of which the youngest was his most precious:Alina.

Protective as he was, hehad asked her to stay away from the surface until she was a bitolder, but he felt and knew that Alina had long grown into amerwoman. With her own wishes, desires and certainly with a curiousmind to discover the world.

With flowing long hair anda fin that shimmered in vibrant colours of green, blue and a hue oflilac, she cut effortlessly through the water towards the sea routewhich went out to the Bone Road and that many ships crossed in pursueof fishing and trading. She had never seen humans or ships before,but had decided that today was the day she wanted to swim to thesurface to take a look. Her best friend Mal was with her. A stocky,short-haired merman she had known since childhood. And if it was upto her father, they'd be betrothed already. But that thought hadnever crossed her mind and it never would, she swore to herself.

„Are you sure, this is agood idea, Alina? I mean, you're not missing out on anything. Thesehumans don't look much different from us. And they often carryweapons. They can be dangerous, you know. Not to mention these Grishawith their powers. Not sure I'd ever want to cross paths with any ofthem." Mal complained beside her.

They grew up with storiesabout the human world as some of their people were brave enough toswim into the harbours of Ravka to chat with passers-by and bringback news of politics and local habits. Through that, Alina had alsofirst heard of the Shadow Fold and the Black Heretic who had createdit with merzost. Black magic that had the power to destroy as well ascreate. All of this scared Alina a bit, but she secretly wished tobehold the mighty wall of darkness that separated the country withher own eyes one day.

„Oh come on, Mal. Don'tspoil the fun. You have been to the surface, I haven't. Let me havethis at least once."

„Fine. But as soon asthere is any sign of trouble, we'll leave!", he said.

The water outside thepalace area was darker, but she could make out the surface just fine,which came closer with every stroke of her fins. Her heart sped up inanticipation. Will there be ships close by? Will they be spotted?Would she get to talk to humans?

Lazy waves greeted them astheir heads emerged from the depth. The crisp air around her feltrefreshing and new and the twilight of vast sky above her was amazingto behold. She drew her very first breath out of the water and wasglad to experience that breathing above was indeed possible.

At the horizon, she wasable to make out the shore, lined by soft hills of green and brown.And towards the open sea, there was a ship!

A large wooden vessel,lazily rolling on the waves as a heavy anchor was thrown from theside into the sea. The ship had black sails with a golden emblem onthem which looked like a circle. She could hear clamour and peopletalking from afar. „Oh Mal, this is exciting. Let's take a closerlook."

Mal merely rolled his eyesand swam after her.

They reached the side ofthe ship and Alina was disappointed to not see any men or women asthe bow was too high. But there was a small opening above a ledge shewas able to reach. Without thinking, she reached for it and heavedherself out of the water to sit on it.

„Be careful!" Malwhispered from below her.

Alina peeked through theopening and her mouth fell open. Men and women in colourfulembroidered coats stood on the deck, chatting to one another, somewere holding glasses, some were sitting. But all their attention wason one man standing a little distance away from everyone else. He wasclad in all black.

He stood tall and leanwith dark hair, a sharp jaw and large black eyes, that held thekindest gaze and a small smile that tugged at the corner of his fulllips. It was the most beautiful man Alina had ever seen.