3. Truth

A week. That's how long I've been in West Chester and that's how long I've been keeping my distance from Johnny and the rest of my dad's friends; except Ryan who's pretty much been my second dad while I've been here. When we have dinner together as a "family", as my dad likes to say, I sit on completely opposite ends of the dinner table from Johnny. I figure the more distance I could put between us, maybe the less I'd find myself thinking about him or at least that was my plan until Pennsylvania decided to have a random heat wave. For a state who experiences all four seasons of the year, Pennsylvania happens to be able to follow at least one rules in creation for summer.

I lay in my bed watching as the ceiling fan above my bed whirled around circulating the air conditioning making room a haven at this point. I couldn't help but find myself realizing how much I really would kill for a California summer right now. Suddenly I was startled out of my thoughts, when I heard my bedroom door creak open.

I quickly sat up and switched the lamp on by my bed to see a drunken Johnny standing in my doorway. He looked at me with squinted eyes and groaned "Can you please turn the light off? It's blinding!" He whispered.

I turned the switch off and whispered "What the hell are you doing in here? Don't you have a room of your own?!"

"Yeah I do have a room of my own. But the air conditioning happens to not be working and I need a place to bunk at for the night." He whispered back.

I sighed "What about staying in Novak or Dunn or Dico's room? Hell what about my dad's room?"

He sat on the edge of my bed and sighed "I tried those rooms and your dad locks his door at night. Dico, Novak, and Dunn all have roommates and there happens to be nowhere else to go. Before your bring it up, no I will not bunk with Chris especially after he's been out drinking."

I rolled my eyes "There are like three couches in this house and you are telling me all of them happen to be taken."

He sighed "Damn it. Rayne. Just let me sleep in here. The rest of the guys came in a few hours ago and there is nowhere else to sleep. Please let me stay in here."

I sighed, pulled back the blanket, and scooted over to the other side of the bed to let him in. He stood up pulling off his shirt and jeans, slid into the bed, and pulled me into a cuddle. I sighed "Johnny, I said you could sleep in here. I didn't say anything about cuddling."

He chuckled "Yeah. Let's just enjoy it and go back to sleep." I felt him nuzzle his face into my neck before I closed my eyes and I drifted back into a land of dreams.

********************

The next morning I woke up with the light of the sun slowly peeking through and I could feel the heat from Johnny's body beside me and his arm drapped over me still. I opened my eyes slightly before opening them quickly again seeing my grandma standing beside my bed with her arms crossed. "Oh shit." I whispered.

"Oh shit is right. What the hell do you think you're doing?" She whisper yelled flinging her arms about.

I looked over beside me seeing Johnny still asleep, shirtless. "I...we...grandma you gotta believe me it's not near what you think." I looked back to her to see if she believed me even the slightest.

"It looks alot like what I think." She said before smacking Johnny on the shoulder.

He mumbled "Damn it, Rayne I'm trying to sleep." before he pulled me closer and tightened his grip on me like I was stuffed animal from his childhood. Suddenly my grandma slapped his shoulder again harder and he leaned up to look at me with a sleepy but angry expression. "Will you please stop that?"

"It wasn't me." I whispered before cutting my eyes to my grandma.

Johnny followed the direction I was looking and whispered "Oh shit."