"Did you know?" he whispered to Feng. "Dr Cheng married Cong Bo. I mean, what did she see in him?"

Feng smiled and fixed his glasses. "Sometimes, we see a hidden gem where no one else does. What others may see could be a pretence. A facade to deter those who can't see beyond." He looked into Luo's eyes and tilted his head playfully. "And sometimes we just like what we see."

Luo Fei beamed. "Do you like what you see, Your Honor?"

"Don't call me that," Feng fixed Luo's unruly hair. "Aren't we supposed to live in the present?" he asked softly.

"Let me ask again, then. Do you like what you see, my Jiang Feng?"

"No..." Feng was focused on one spot on Luo's forehead.

"What?"

"That's going to be a very painful pimple before it surfaces."

Luo's hand immediately went to check, and Feng caught it. "Don't touch it with dirty hands. You'll make it worse."

"How come your skin is so perfect all the time?" Fei made a face.

"My DNA structure is different than yours. Also, the process of hormonal changes..."

"All right. All right. I get it. You're basically perfect. I can live with that." He turned to the stands and watched as Zhao Xinchi took his place next to Zhao Yunlan. They exchanged some hushed words and then sat in silence. Luo stared, wondering what would it be like to sit there. What would his relations with his father be, had he managed to come back alive from Dixing? A cold hand gently took his, and moved it away from his mouth.

"Eat a lollipop and stop biting your nails," Feng whispered into his ear.

"I'm gonna get fat if I eat so many," Luo muttered, coming back to reality.

"Then give me one too. I'll get fat together with you." Jiang Feng smiled angelically, looking into surprised eyes. Luo Fei took out a lollipop from his pocket, unwrapped it and stuck it into his friend's mouth.

"It's mango. Tell me if you like it," Luo grinned.

"I love it," Jiang Feng smiled back.

Guo Changcheng stepped carefully, carrying a wooden chair in front of him. As he was climbing the steps to the podium, his leg slipped, and he squeaked, losing balance. A strong hand went around his slim waist, catching him. Guo blinked.

"Where do you think you're going with that?" Chu Shuzhi glared at him, his hand holding Guo steadily.

"Oh, um," Changcheng blushed. "They said that there was one chair missing, and as I was walking here anyway..."

"You are a guest of honour, not an organiser. Start behaving appropriately."

"Brother Chu, you can let go of me now," Guo smiled, nodding.

"What if I don't want to? You'll trip and fall again with your luck."

"No, I won't."

"Fine, give me that," Old Chu took the chair from his partner and pushed him forward. "Go take your place. The one near Zhu Hong. I'll be right there."

Guo marched towards his seat, smiling and nodding to the people he knew. He opened his mouth to greet Zhu Hong, but the woman was busy observing something in the crowd. She finally turned to Guo, pointing her chin at Luo and Feng.

"Xiao, Guo," She smirked. "Look at those two lovebirds. They remind me of you and Old Chu when you finally decided you would stop hiding your feelings."