18

Zhao Yunlan looked at the unfamiliar row of numbers on his vibrating phone. He looked to Lin Jing and tapped the desk twice. The nerdy scientist started tapping madly on his computer to trace the signal.

"This is Zhao."

"Oh, thank the gods, You haven't changed the number," a male voice whispered.

"Who is this?" the detective frowned.

"Look, I don't have much time. I managed to blow up the lab, and I freed the girls, but it turned out they have already transported the device. They're on me now. I've run out of time."

"What device? Where are you now?" Yunlan decided not to waste time with questions like who are you. If the speaker wanted to, he would share it.

"The group managed to find a frequency that is lethal to Dixinians and Yashou. They are planning to use it soon. If they succeed, the whole Dragon City will be littered with corpses. There is an old broadcasting station in Dragon High. I believe they will try to use it." The man was talking much faster now, and Zhao was tapping his fingers nervously as he watched Lin Jing work. "It's not on the plans. You need to... ack!" there was a sound of a body hitting the floor, then the connection was broken.

"I've got the address!" Lin Jing announced.

"Chu Shuzhi, you and Xiao Guo take your units and go to that place! I want this man alive! Mr Lin, please guide them. The rest of you search for any kind of information regarding an old broadcast station in Dragon High. Da Qing, let's go!"

They drove to the school at high speed, and Zhao's mind was racing as he turned into the narrow streets. Will it be on this day? Will they manage to find the broadcasting room in time? He shuddered, thinking of the possible failure. He couldn't fail. He promised to keep going, and this life wasn't only his.

"Hey, why don't we ask Luo Fei?" Da Qing's sudden question startled him. "I mean, the kid said that he knew everything about that school, right?"

"We're not endangering him." Zhao snapped.

"Hey, I only suggested that we call him and ask. Who's talking about any danger?"

"I will consider it. But hopefully, before we get to the place, one of our people will find it."

Luo sighed, leaning on the broomstick. He had better ways of spending Saturdays than what he was doing now. As a penalty for smoking, the headmaster made him promise that he would help clean the schoolyard, and the boy was at it since the early hours of the morning.

"Aren't you done with this part yet?" asked Jiang Feng, carrying a rubbish bag almost as large as himself. He put it next to the gate and wiped the sweat from his forehead.

"No, I had to scrub away the chewing gum spots. That took me forever. What about you guys?"

"We're almost done with the other side. Then we can help you here."

When Jiang Feng had heard about Luo's task, he immediately offered his help, making Xin Bai growl but agree to tag along. The twins were fast and meticulous at their work, and Luo couldn't wait for the principal to see the final result. He resumed sweeping and humming. Soon all three boys were adding finishing touches to the now spotless school premises.

"Hey, guys," Luo grinned. "Thank you once again for helping me. You wasted a whole Saturday morning because of me."

"It was fun!" Jiang Feng grinned. "We've never really done anything like that before."

"Yes, well." Xin Bai was using wet wipes to clean his hands. He handed the rest of the packet to his brother. "Cleaning other people's mess isn't usually on our to-do list. Now that we've finished, why don't we go home?"