24

Darkness was all around him.

Jiang Xin Bai was staring at the bloodied body of Shen Wei, lying on the stone floor of the Dijun Palace. Zhao Yunlan was screaming something, tied to one of the pillars, but that didn't matter. All Xin Bai could see was his dying brother.

"Did I do it?" he whispered. His eyes were stinging, tears running down his face. He tried to move and couldn't. "Am I back here again?" he thought. It was getting more and more difficult to breathe. Shen Wei's body was unmoving, and suddenly Zhao Yunlan was advancing, one of the Hallows in his hand.

"You murdered your own brother. Again. I'm going to enjoy killing you," the man snarled.

The teenager shivered, shaking his head. It wasn't possible. He would never do that to his Gege. It couldn't be real. He...

"Hey!" He felt a sting of pain on his cheek, and the next moment he was hauled to a sitting position on his bed. "Are you awake now?" The S.I.D. Deputy was kneeling above him, holding his shirt.

"Inh... inhaler," Xin Bai wheezed, fighting for every breath. His skin was itchy, and he could barely open his eyes.

Da Qing's eyes followed the pointing finger, and a moment later, he handed the small device to the boy. The kid took two deep breaths, then frowned, looking around.

"Cat?" he asked, still coughing and sneezing, searching for the animal.

"Hm?" Da Qing smiled sheepishly. He hurriedly grabbed the pillow he was sleeping on and tossed it out through the window. "You're that allergic?"

Xin Bai nodded, rubbing his eyes.

"Stop doing that. Here, let me help you to the bathroom. Some cold water should help. Do you have any pills? Or should I call your brother?"

"Gege..." Xin Bai shivered, remembering the dream. He shook his head, then sighed and stood up. He grew several centimetres taller, his hair becoming long and silky. Da Qing jumped away, a low guttural growling coming from his mouth. His hand rose, ready to attack, as he watched the man he hated so much.

Lord Yezun took a deep breath and looked at the Deputy.

"Relax, little kitten. I won't hurt you. I only had to take this form to breathe properly." He went to the bedside table and took out a syringe. After injecting himself with whatever was inside, he took some calming breaths then returned to being a teenager. Immediately he fell to his knees as a coughing fit threatened to take his breath away. Da Qing eyed him suspiciously but moved closer.

"So it's that easy to finish you off?" he asked. "I'll bear that in mind. So you'd better not mess with my master, or I'll feed you a furball I'll lick off my butt!"

Xin Bai looked at him and laughed, fighting with his weakness.

"That," he coughed again. "Was the boldest life threat I have ever heard. Though the mental image might be quite disturbing. Were you talking about your cat form or..."

"Shut up!" the Deputy reddened. "Go wash or something."

"Sure," Xin Bai stood up and winked. He was breathing steadily, but it would still take some time for the itchy rash on his body to fade. "While I'm in the bathroom, I hope no But-licking will occur in my room."

"You're a pervert. You know that?" Da Qing narrowed his eyes.

"You started it," the white-haired boy laughed, disappearing behind the bathroom door.

"Why are you wearing that?" Jiang Feng frowned, seeing Luo in a brown leather jacket. The boy approached the kitchen table and grinned, looking at the twins, already eating breakfast.