23

"Well, what do you think?" Luo looked at the memorial statues erected in the central part of the city park. The two life-sized figures were standing with their backs to each other on a one-metre tall concrete plinth. Zhao Yunlan's serious expression, perfectly sculpted in marble, looked so very lifelike Luo was half expecting the figure to move. The statue of the detective in his leather jacket and torn jeans was aiming his pistol at the northwestern mountains. The other figure, clad in a long robe with a hood, completely obscuring his face, was holding a pudao pointing upwards.

"The protectors of Dragon City" claimed the gold letters on the plinth.

"Legend has it," Luo stepped closer, trying to see the face under the hood. "There is one day every year when the sun shines precisely at the right angle, and you can see his true face." the teenager turned and grinned at his companion. "I've always wondered what kind of beauty is hidden underneath."

Jiang Feng let out a bemused breath.

"Judging by the angle of the hood, it isn't very likely it would ever happen. I doubt there even is a face under it. Who would bother."

Luo grinned. "Oh, but there is. Look." He took out his phone, turned on the flashlight and pointed it upwards. In the beam, handsome well-chiselled chin became visible, and a part of a straight nose. The rest of the face was hidden behind an ornate mask. Feng blinked, stunned.

"How..." he began.

"Da Qing said that all the S.I.D. members were awfully specific about the statue. Its unveiling was postponed four times because they weren't satisfied with the outcome. Especially Old Chu.

Jiang Feng shook his head. "Such an insignificant thing..." he sighed.

"What are you talking about. I told you 10,000 years ago. Your face is perfect. Don't blame others for wanting that perfection preserved."

Luo turned back to his companion and stepped closer. "Speaking of perfection. Aren't you missing something?" His mouth twitched when Feng's hand instinctively went to his collar. Luo Fei's hand followed.

"I've got you," Fei whispered. He took Feng's hand and gently placed there an old pendant. "Da Qing gave it to me, and I'm returning it to you. But..." Luo bit his lip.

"What?" Feng's eyes darted from his pendant to Luo.

"We're starting a new life, so..." the teenager frowned, trying to take something out of the pocket of his jeans. "Dang it. Wait. Those skinny jeans have terrible pockets. Ha! There we go!" He grabbed Jiang Feng's hand again and slid a silver ring onto his finger. "You're mine now," Luo grinned happily, showing a pairing ring on his own finger.

Jiang Feng's eyes reddened as he stared at the rings and the pendant in his hand. Luo tossed his arm around the boy's shoulders.

"Admit it," he winked.

"Wh... What?"

"You liked me even before we got our memories back."

"I..." Now Feng's ears were burning. He nervously fixed his glasses, then the fingers of his left hand curled around the small object he received. He sniffed.

"Because I had a crush on you from the moment I saw you. Not to mention," Luo moved his head to Jiang's ear. "I had a hard-on every time you licked your lips."

"Zhao Yunlan!" Feng stiffened and swatted the hand on his shoulder away. Luo laughed hysterically.

"What's wrong, Old Brother Black? Aren't you confusing me with somebody else?"

Feng looked into his eyes. "I would never make that mistake," he whispered, then looked back at the statue of the detective. Even though he had Luo right next to him, he missed his Zhao. His Kunlun. Luo took him by the hand, their fingers intertwining.