7

Luo Fei fidgeted on his chair during the history test. He risked a quick glance towards Jiang Feng. The kid was scribbling madly, answering one question after another, an unconsciously happy smile on his face. Luo looked back at his sheet of paper. He noted some answers, enough to grant him a passing mark. The pen felt too heavy to bother with the last question. He re-read it and sighed. That was the one he knew the answer to, having revised for it in the morning. Why bother, though. The teacher will have less to read this way. On the other hand, he had already wasted time to learn the damned thing... His hand started writing the answer out of boredom, and before he knew it, he finished the whole sheet. Luo looked quite bewildered at his test. Not bad.

When the lesson ended and the teacher collected the tests, Luo once again looked at Jiang Feng. The kid was already looking his way, grinning, and Luo grinned back. Feng's grin was contagious, and Fei was sure that he would always mirror the happy expression of his friend. The bell sounded, and they left the classroom and headed to the chemistry lab.

Running footsteps sounded on the corridor. "Luo Fei! Luo Fei!" Xu Zihao almost fell, trying to reach his friend. "This is big! This is a historical event!" he jumped up and down, excited.

"What? What?" Luo Fei grabbed the boy by the shoulders and shook.

"Your crush is here!"

"My what?" Luo looked at Jiang. He wanted to explain that he didn't know what this dude was on about. He didn't have a- oh."

"WHAT?! WHERE?!" he shouted.

"Headmaster's- Hey, wait!" Xu called after his already disappearing friend. He sighed and turned to Jiang Feng. "Wanna go and see? This might be interesting."

Zhao Yunlan, followed by his deputy, walked swiftly through the school corridor. He noticed how the kids moved out of his way, talking in whispers and taking photos in what they thought was a discreet way. He ignored it.

He was about to reach for the door handle to the principal's office when Da Qing put a hand on his arm and visibly perked up, his ear twitching.

"What is it?" Zhao asked.

"Wait." The deputy looked expectantly down the corridor. A boy was running their way. Skinny, tall, with messy dark hair and a slightly protruding chin. His eyes, gleaming with excitement, were glued to the figure of the S.I.D. Chief. The man's eyes widened, seeing the uncanny resemblance.

"Is that?"

"Yup," Da Qing grinned.

"But how?"

"Don't know, don't care. And that's not all. Actually-"

"Mr Zhao, sir!" The kid barely managed to halt before crashing into Yunlan. "Mr Zhao, please." Luo fought to catch a breath.

"What is it. I am in a bit of a hurry." The detective frowned, looking at the boy with hidden curiosity.

"I'm sorry. It will only take a minute. I am a huge admirer. I have been collecting all the information about your cases. In the future, I would like to join the ranks of S.I.D. and learn from you!" the teenager bowed deeply.

 Zhao Yunlan frowned. "Shouldn't you consider a less dangerous path?" he asked, clearly concerned.

"No, sir." The kid straightened and looked with resolution into Yunlan's eyes. "I believe that with my hard work and determination, I can become a valuable addition to the S.I.D. forces." He recited the sentence he had forever wanted to say.

"I see," Zhao regarded him. "What's your name, boy?"

"Luo Fei, sir!"

"Well then, Luo Fei. I will make sure there is a desk awaiting you when you are ready to join."