9

They turned to the residential area. The wide drive led them to a large modern house. Luo Fei wanted to whistle, then remembered that he shouldn't be making any loud noises and his face froze in a ridiculous expression.

"Wow, you're rich," he commented. Xin Bai got out of the car and went to open the door before he returned to help his brother.

"Not us. Our uncle," he said. "Ge, ready to move?"

They slowly moved Feng to his room. Luo Fei was staring wide-eyed at the fancy interior of the house, having never been in such an extravagant place before.

It took them some time to make Jiang Feng comfortable in his bed. The boy reached out his hand and grabbed Luo by the sleeve.

"Stay?" he whispered from under the covers. Fei looked at his mom.

"Well, my son can be a nuisance," she looked at Xin Bai, who was staring at his brother's hand. Jiang Xin Bai lifted his gaze and smiled.

"He should stay. Don't worry, Mrs Luo. If he is too much, then I'll simply bury him somewhere in the garden."

The woman chuckled. "All right. Are you sure that your brother doesn't need a check-up in the hospital?" she glanced at the small box filled with different pills. "Those are heavy-duty stuff."

The boy shook his head and indicated that they should continue outside. The woman nodded, kissed her son on the forehead and went out. Xin Bai carefully closed the door behind them and sighed, looking at the worried woman.

"I'll call our physician in the morning. He knows what to do. As for my brother... He had all the tests he could get. Trust me. Our uncle had dragged us through all the hospitals on the planet. If he went somewhere abroad, he always checked the best clinics and doctors and would make Feng Ge go with him. If there were any hospitals in Antarctica, we would've been there as well. We covered all the other continents." His lower lip suddenly quivered, and the woman took a step closer and hugged him. The boy stood there shocked, unfamiliar with the sudden warmth. What was this woman doing? She immediately let go, sensing his distress and put a reassuring hand on his head instead.

"If you need anything, just call me, ok?" She smiled. "Or tell that silly boy of mine to do it. Is it really ok for him to stay?"

"Yeah. I mean, yes, mam."

"Ok, then. I'll see myself out. Go back to your brother." She stroked his head one more time and left. Xin Bai touched the place where her hand had been and blinked several times.

When he returned to the bedroom, Luo Fei was sitting on the bed, looking a bit uncomfortable, while Feng's arms were wrapped around his waist, the head pressed to the boy's side.

"Ge?" the grey-haired boy approached the bed, frowning.

"Shh, I think he's asleep," Luo whispered.

"What?" Xin Bai leaned in, watching his brother. That was new. Usually, a migraine attack lasted at least several hours, making the boy restless, preventing him from sleep. How on earth did Luo manage to change that? Was it all connected to their fate?

Xin Bai knelt and started unlacing Fei's shoes.

"Hey, what-?"

"You're staying here for the rest of the day and quite possibly the night. No need to be uncomfortable. Let me take your shoes off so that you can lay down." Xin Bai looked up. "Don't wake him up. I'll help you."

Luo slowly slid to the pillows and turned to lay on the side. A quiet sound of distress escaped Feng's lips, making Luo reach out to him. He gently placed his right hand around Feng's waist, and with his left, he held the boy's head pressed to his chest. Luo's chin naturally found its place on his friend's head, making both boys sigh. For some strange reason, this felt just right, and Fei simply closed his eyes, suddenly drained.