Chapter 10 - i love you 3000

I'm so sorry it's been a while! I really am; school will be school and I will always be a procrastinator. Also, I updated the end of chapter 9 so it should hopefully make more sense now. I love you and enjoy!

Nat's POV:

As I started to walk away from the burning lab I felt y/n's warm breath hitch on my neck as she whispered "Sorry, Nat". My expression softened a little as I realised that that was the first time she'd ever shortened my name. Before I could reply a loud shattering of glass was heard behind us, making y/n jolt her head out of the crook of my neck in terror. Only a second later the shattering was followed by a gush of wind as Tony soared the the second floor window in his iron man suit. Y/n's little fists clenched tightly on my t-shirt as she clung to me with anxiety.

When he caught sight of y/n he immediately landed and made his way towards us, lifting his mask. "Y/n! Oh thank god you're okay!" He sighed when he reached us. A burning object collapsed in the lab with a thud which prompted Tony to press the button on the side of his head, lowering his mask again and he turned towards the flames. "What the hell y/n!" he shouted over his shoulder. Y/n giggled silently but immediately stopped and gulped loudly when she saw my very unimpressed face, reminding her that this was a serious situation.

Y/n's POV:

Nat took me to the opposite side of the building while Tony and the others battled the fire. We bumped into Mommy on the way there as she had come looking for me when she smelt the smoke. Now I was sat on the sofa (couch) and my mommy and Nat sat in armchairs opposite me with mugs of tea. They said they were waiting for Tony so that I could explain myself to him at the same time. I was anxiously swinging my legs, not enjoying the foreboding silence of the room and Nat and Mama's fixed gazes on me. Finally Dad entered the room, brushing through his hair with his hands after having just taken off the suit. "It's all been taken care of." He said. "Luckily Natasha found you before the fire got completely out of control." He gave me a stern look and I shrank myself back into the sofa for the fifth time in the past 10 minutes. It had certainly been the longest 10 minutes of my life.

"So, y/n are you ready to explain everything to us now?" Mama asked. I nodded "Yes, Mama" I said, my voice only coming out a whisper. "Good. Now start from the beginning: why did you hide in the first place?" A tear slipped down my grubby cheek as I remembered the day's events. I told them about how I had got really restless because I couldn't bare to do any more work on a Saturday so I decided to get up and leave my room and have a bit of a stretch but JARVIS alerted the whole building and so, knowing I'd get into a lot of trouble and I'd be forced to do more work I decided to run away.

"I took the back stairs and I knew I couldn't run forever, especially as you're all really fast so my next thought was to find somewhere to hide" I looked up with pink cheeks from embarrassment; I felt bad that they had worried about me because I had been hiding from them. There was no reaction so far from any of the three adults in front of me so I continued. "I heard Da- Tony and Bruce leave the lab so I decided to sneak in while the door was open. Then, once I was inside, I programmed JARVIS so that he couldn't tell you my location and I got to work on my project." "The gloves?" Dad interrupted. "Yeah. But, they are different to how I told you. I was making them so that they could heat up to 800°C so that I could do cool stuff." When I looked up from my lap, Dad looked like he was about to shout at me but Mommy put a hand on his thigh so he closed his mouth before he was able to say anything.

"I was in there for quite a while so I got bored and decided to take a break from the gloves and so I thought it would be fun to use your computer set up thing with the different screens.  But..b-but I was looking through th-the history and I noticed my name." I hated that I had started to cry but I felt so terrible and angry that I couldn't stop. All three adults looked very uncomfortable and guilty. "I know that the H-hulk k-killed my real parents and y-you only adopted me because you felt bad." I was so upset that I had discovered Banner was responsible for my parent's death but I was even more upset that Tony and Pepper never told me and that they had only adopted me out of pity. Pepper rushed over to me and sat me on her lap and started stroking my hair. "Honey, we adopted you because we love you." "No you didn't!" I practically screeched because I was crying so distraughtly. "Why did you never tell me? I hate you! You're not my real mommy! Let me gooo!" I desperately tried to wriggle out of her grasp. Mama looked very sad and pale but she still gripped me tightly, making me eventually collapse into her in exhaustion and frustration. I started sobbing again and let Mama hug me and rock me slowly. After a few minutes I had calmed down and stopped crying. "Do you wanna finish telling the story now or later malyshka?" Nat asked gently. "Now." I answered. Mama sat me up so I could speak properly. "I was so distracted that I didn't realise I had left the chemicals over the Bunsen burner for too long and I only realised when I heard the test tube explode and then a fire started really quickly and I tried to get out but JARVIS denied me access so then I tried to re-program it but I was blocked, probably because I'd hacked in earlier so all I could do was get as far away from the fire as possible and hope that one of you would notice. I didn't feel like contacting any of you via JARVIS after what I had just found out."

They all apologised to me and I apologised to them for running away and hiding and hacking JARVIS. Dad said that he would change the security system after Nat started having a go at him for it. All three of them told me that they loved me to an alternate universe and back and I giggled and said "I love you all 3000!"