Chapter 9 - catching fire

Y/n's POV:

Today I woke up and I just chose evil. Well, not evil just a little mischievous.

At breakfast, Tony was trying to teach me something to do with quantum physics, I wasn't really listening; I just wasn't in the mood today. I had been eying up a dried cornflake on the table for a while now and so I finally decided to flick it as hard as I could at Tony. I reached forward as discretely as I could and used my forefinger and thumb to project it across the table. To my delight it landed smack bang in the middle of Tony's forehead. Natasha and Pepper looked unimpressed, as did Vision. Everyone else either smirked or laughed. Tony just said

"Ha ha, very funny kid. I'll get you back you know, I'm the best prankster. I'm assuming your not in the mood for learning today?" I giggled and shook my head no. "Well that's fortunate because you're the one who chose homeschooling." He said sarcastically. "So, it's up to your room you go y/n. I've set you some tasks which you'll find on your desk. Oh, and I want you to write a little summary about the quantum physics I was talking to you about and you were listening to so intently" He patted me on the back and grinned at my disgruntled expression. "Go on! That should keep you busy for a while." He said as he shoved me out the kitchen door and I shot him a sarcastic smile.

"Very funny, Tony. Nice one." I grumbled to myself as I stomped up the stairs. I was a Saturday after all, I shouldn't have to be doing work. But like my dad said, I chose homeschooling so he and Mama got to dictate my hours.

I was sat at my desk solving the chemical equations Dad had set me, but I was dying of boredom. I felt so restless and I had used up the last of my will power on the last comprehension I had to do. Suddenly I slammed the textbook closed and shoved my equations to the side. That was enough. I aggressively drew my chair back and practically ran out of the room. What I didn't realise is that dad had JARVIS spying on me. As soon as I crossed the threshold into the corridor, I heard the AI's voice echoing around the compound that I had left my room. "JARVIS you traitor!" I screamed sprinting down the corridor before the highly likely event of being caught by one of the Avengers. I ran as fast as my little legs could take me down the back stairs so I hopefully wouldn't bump into anyone. When I reached the bottom I had to quickly duck behind the corner as I saw Dad stride quickly out of the lab with Bruce behind him. My heart was beating to fast in shock as I had barely stopped myself from running right into them. When they had gone round the corner I decided to take my chance and slip in while the door was still open - a risky move as they were still within earshot of me, but only my dad and Bruce had access to the lab so this was a rare opportunity. Besides, this was the last place they would look for me.

I had been in here many times with Dad before so I knew my way around and quickly made my way to Dad's special computer thing where I was able to rapidly change JARVIS's code to not inform anyone of my location - I'd read multiple books about computer programming, hacking and code and I'd watched Dad do it all the time. As soon as that was over with I sped to the corner of the room where I had been working on my little project - it was a pair of gloves that could heat up externally to very high temperatures up to 800°C. I thought it would be useful as a weapon and just as a cool gadget. Imagine being able to bend or even melt metal with these gloves! I couldn't wait until it was finished. I hadn't told Dad the whole truth about what the gloves could do. I had only told him they could heat up to temperatures high enough to keep someone warm when it's cold outside. But that would be lame, I could use mine for loads of things! So, I decided to occupy myself with this project until I eventually had to come out of hiding.

Nat's POV:

We had looked all over the compound for y/n for almost an hour and then sent a search party outside the compound grounds. One thing for sure was that y/n was going to be in BIG trouble when she gets found. I'm a little worried for her though because if she was outside the compound so many things could happen to her, she may be smart but she is only seven! Tony and the others were out searching so it was only me, Bruce and Pepper who were left in the compound. I just had a gut feeling she was still here. As I was walking on my circuit around the compound so as to cover all bases I suddenly smelt smoke. Shit, there must be a fire on the first floor and I bet I know who's responsible! "Tony, get everyone over here right now." was all I had time to say through the comms. The smell became so strong as I neared the lab. Sure enough, as I turned the corner I was met with the sight of flames inside Tony's lab (which had glass walls). Luckily the fire hadn't spread too far yet. Where the fuck was y/n though? She must be so scared! I immediately reached for the door handle and tried to force my way in. "Access denied, Agent Romanoff." The cold and clear AI voice sounded over the crackling and burning sounds from within. In frustration and desperation I kicked the door. The glass was double glazed so I only made a crack in the door and probably a huge bruise on my foot (not that I noticed the pain at the time, I'm used to injuries and all I could focus on was y/n anyway). Simultaneously, JARVIS infuriatingly repeated "Access denied." "Aarrgh!" I screamed. If only Tony were here to see his daughter killed by his stupid security system! I whipped my gun out and shot repeatedly at the glass, hearing it crack painstakingly slowing with each shot fired until after 11 shots it finally shattered into thousands of tiny shards. Immediately I ran inside as fast as I could, covering my nose and mouth with my t-shirt. I desperately scanned the room for y/n and shortly discovered her sitting as far away from the flames as possible and crouched low to avoid the smoke. I quickly scooped her up. "You've got some serious explaining to do young lady!" I scolded, running out of the lab with her in my arms. She looked petrified and I could feel her heart pounding against me as I held her close to my chest, but thankfully she seemed okay from a health perspective.

A/n
Sorry I had to leave it here! I'll upload a new chapter ASAP! :) thanks for reading!