Chapter 8 - no buts, don't do it again

Pepper's POV:

I rushed back to the party knowing y/n was sound asleep. I speed walked towards Tony and embraced him. He looked a little surprised but I resolved his confusion by whispering excitedly in his ear:

"Tony, y/n... y/n called me Mama!"

"Oh, Peps that's great!" He said kissing me.

I stayed next to Tony the rest of the night, often with my arms around him. I was so happy; I finally felt like a mother.

the next day

Y/n's POV:

I was down on the training floor in the morning watching Natasha and Steve spar. I loved watching Natasha fight, she was so fast and strong and agile. They had already been sparring for 40 minutes so I decided to have a look around the training floor since I wasn't allowed down here by myself. I was only about 10 metres away from where they were fighting but Natasha had her back to me most of the time. I caught a glimpse of Natasha's knives on the counter nearest to me. I knew I wasn't allowed but I couldn't help but go to them; curiosity overtook me. There were different shapes and sizes but all of them were shiny and very sharp. I had to reach up a little to get a knife from the counter. I only chose a little one so I wouldn't hurt myself. I handled it very carefully, holding the handle in my right hand tightly and cautiously waved it around a little to see what it would feel like to be like Natasha. I was just about to put it back on the counter when I heard a shout behind me.

"Y/n, what the hell are you doing playing with my knives!" The anger in her voice shocked me, causing my hand to jolt and get cut by the knife. I quickly put the knife down and clasped my other hand around the cut to keep on the pressure and stop the bleeding. I also didn't want Natasha to find out I had cut myself with her knife because I wanted to prove I was being careful and responsible. Which I was until she made me jump! Nat marched over to me and glared at me.

"Sorry, Natasha." I whimpered as I tried to conceal my hand more. I don't think the cut was too deep but it still hurt a lot and I started to cry both from the pain and from being shouted at by a scary assassin. Natasha sighed.

"Go to your room y/n. Now!" I quickly got moving and half ran to the elevator, still clasping my hand.

When I got to my room I immediately went to the sink to wash my cut and then I started to tightly wrap some toilet roll around it as a bandage. I didn't really know what I was doing but I had to do something. I wanted to go and see my mama - I-I mean Pepper.

Nat's POV:

I was so annoyed with y/n. It's so stupid of her to play with my knives, what was she thinking! Actually to tell the truth I was probably more scared for her than angry but either way, I was annoyed. When she turned around to go to her room I noticed that her arms weren't by her side but clasped in front of her. Shit. She must have cut herself. I gave myself a second to cool off then hurried upstairs to her bedroom with a first aid kit.

Y/n's POV:

I was just finishing wrapping the toilet paper around my hand in my en suite bathroom when I heard my bedroom door slam open. I'm not normally scared of Natasha but when she's angry I fear for my life. All I could do was stand frozen in my spot facing the bedroom and awaiting my fate. When Natasha reached me she had flames in her beautiful green eyes. To my surprise she gently reached for my arm with the injured hand but tore off the toilet paper I had just bandaged it with. I pouted at my shredded work. "Go and sit on your bed y/n." Natasha ordered sternly. I did as I was told, struggling to get up onto it with only one hand. Natasha picked me up roughly and put me straight back down on the bed. "You shouldn't try to treat your wound yourself y/n. Being 'independent' is what got you into this mess in the first place." Now it was my turn to get angry. It's her fault I cut myself! I was being really careful until she had to scare me. Besides, she can't stop me from being independent. I huffed and I felt my cheeks and ears heat up. She lifted my arm up so that she could properly clean and bandage my wound. She remained standing, acting a little coldly as she wrapped the gauze round and round. "Y/n why did you touch my knives?" She asked sternly.

"Sorry, Natasha."

"No, y/n that's not what I asked." I sighed.

"Because I was curious. And I wanted to be like you" the second sentence was barely audible. Natasha's gaze softened a little and I felt relief spread through my body.

"Aw, milaya." She put my arm down and scooped me up and put me on her lap. She wiped my tears away and kissed my forehead. "Look, I'm sorry I shouted but I was just really worried for you. You could have seriously injured yourself with those knives and I had told you not to touch them."

"But-"

"No buts y/n. Don't do it again." Her voice was still stern, but not cold anymore, it was more maternal. "You wanna go and see your mama, malyshka? I nodded and hugged her tightly as she carried me to where Mama was, in her office.

"Aw, my baby are you okay? Mama said, rushing over to us after seeing my tear stained cheeks and bandaged hand. I nodded. "What happened?"

"Y/n was playing with one of my knives and cut her hand. Don't worry, it's not too deep and I've already given her a telling off." Natasha said.

"Thanks, Nat." Mama sighed and took me from Natasha's arms into her own. She gave me a look that showed me I was lucky Natasha had already punished me, then held me close and rubbed my back.