eleven, enchanted lotus

Start from the beginning

     The boy appeared as if he could have fainted. Sheila slowly moved behind him, in case he actually would. "What do you mean?"

"I mean, she was taken away from the Minotaur before she could die. She was turned into a shower of gold, right? That's metamorphosis. Not death. She's being kept."

     Sheila carefully analyzed the emotions on Percy's face. He seemed unfazed, yet she saw the hope gleaming brightly in his eyes as he inquired why his mother was kept. This kind of hope was rather destructive.

"You need to study war, punk," Ares suggested. "Hostages. You take somebody to control somebody else."

     "Nobody's controlling me," Percy denied. Sheila thought about their nightmares, wondering if his words were the truth.

Ares laughed. "Oh yeah? See you around, kid."

     Percy balled up his fists, the action making his friends tense up. "You're pretty smug, Lord Ares, for a guy who runs from Cupid statues."

Behind Ares' sunglasses, the fire glowed. "We'll meet again, Percy Jackson. Next time you're in a fight, watch your back." Sheila stepped back warily when he shifted his gaze to her. "You should watch yours too, Sheila Bennett. My son has a great need for revenge." He revved his Harley, then roared off down Delancy Street.

     Annabeth's features revealed confusion. "What did he mean by that?"

Sheila ignored the panic rising in her chest and sighed. "No need to worry about that. Come on, I think the truck's drivers are coming."

     She crossed the street, not waiting for her friends to spot the two men in identical black coveralls at the diner's register. Grover was first to follow, Percy and Annabeth close behind. Climbing in the back of the big rig, Sheila held the doors open until the others got in. The smell instantly hit her as the air no longer filtered it, her nose scrunching up in disgust. She could tell whatever was inside wouldn't please her.

Percy uncapped his pen as Sheila summoned a light in her palm, the inside of the trailer becoming clearer. As predicted, the girl felt disgusted by the sight. There was a zebra, a male albino lion and an antelope sitting in a row of filthy cages. They looked so hungry and mistreated. Their food had been mixed up, the lion being served a sack of turnips while the zebra and the antelope had each gotten a Styrofoam tray of hamburger meat. Sheila immediately fixed the nonchalant mistake.

     Their faces lighting up didn't hide the signs of animal abuse. The zebra's mane was matted with chewing gum. As for the antelope, a silver birthday balloon had been tied to one of his horns. The lion was the worst of all three. He was pacing around on soiled blankets, his cage too small for his body. Pants escaped his mouth due to the stuffy heat of the trailer. Flies were buzzing around his pink eyes, and his ribs showed through his white fur.

"This is kindness?" Grover yelled. "Humane zoo transport?"

     "Ares needs to rectify his definition of the word," Sheila mumbled.

The truck's engine roared as Grover went to give the two men a piece of his mind. The trailer started shaking, forcing them to sit down. Sheila huddled with the others on some mildewed feed sacks, restraining the gag in her throat. The smell, the heat and the flies gave her a headache. While the Tunnel of Love didn't make her throw up, this truck could.

     From beside Percy, Grover talked to the animals in a series of goat bleats, but they just stared at him sadly. The look in their eyes was heartbreaking, Annabeth suggesting they broke the cages and freed them on the spot. But Percy had pointed out it wouldn't help them as the truck moved too much. Instead, they settled on making them slightly more comfortable.