TRACK 42 - PART 4

Start from the beginning

TJ turned back to the counter and busied herself with the pancake box, a signal I had quickly learned from knowing her that meant to change the topic of conversation.

"Now, I thought I was the one that was supposed to be making you breakfast," I said as I noticed her madly whisk the ingredients in the bowl.

"You're not as good at this as me."

"It's packaged ingredients and water. How hard is that?"

TJ placed the bowl of perfectly whisked batter down on the counter next to the stove. "Apparently for you, very hard," she teased as she placed a kiss on my cheek.

Stunned by her comment, there was little time allowed for me to process my thoughts. TJ had turned on the radio and - whether it was her attention or not - distracted me by singing along quietly to the song that played. There was something different about her. I didn't want to say happier - because it wasn't like seeing her happy was a rare occurrence. The energy which radiated from her was lighter, almost more carefree. Maybe it was just a mere coincidence or maybe it was where we were that brought it out in her. Whatever the reason, I hoped it stayed. I enjoyed watching as she flowed around the kitchen, singing and dancing as if she were the only one in the room.

The two of us sat down at the table to eat. TJ began digging into her food as I filled both of our mugs with coffee, adding in the right amount of milk and sugar that I knew she liked. She told me stories of what had happened at the house while she had been around. The way she spoke about them could have fooled me into thinking she had known them for years.

The ring of my cell phone interrupted our conversation. Had it not been for who was calling, I would have put it right to voicemail.

"Hey man." I balanced the device between my ear and shoulder. "What's up?"

"I need a huge favour," Aidan said from the other end of the call. "Can you get Rory from school?"

"Yeah, for sure."

"Really? That was a lot easier than I thought."

"What time?"

"Two - I'll let her teacher know. Thanks, man! The car in the garage has a spare booster seat for her in the trunk and the address is on the fridge but TJ was there the other day, so she can point it out!" Aidan said a quick goodbye, as someone from the garage pulled his attention away with a question, and he hung up the phone.

"What was that about?"

"Looks like we have some babysitting duties this afternoon."

The rest of our morning still went as planned

The rest of our morning still went as planned. After we finished eating and washed the dishes, TJ and I went for a walk around the neighbourhood. I took her to some of my favourite spots, told her about the neighbours we passed and any stories I could remember that came to mind. I worried at points that I was boring her. If I was, I'd never know by the way she appeared to hang onto my every word.