Chapter 11: Fight at the Sea of Monsters

Wind's POV

It was pretty much like paradise, save for the rope bridge across a chasm. As we sailed, Annabeth breathed in the air.

"The Fleece," she breathed.

I nodded. I could feel it's power.

"If we take it away, will the island die?" Percy asked.

  Annabeth shook her head. "It'll fade. Go back to what it would be normally, whatever that is. "

It was a nice place, but we had no choice if we wanted to save Camp Half-Blood. I won't consider it a home yet, but it's a special place to many demigods. And I'm also a demigod, so I should be inclined to want to save it.

 In the meadow at the base of the ravine, several dozen sheep were milling around. They looked peaceful enough, but they were huge—the size of hippos. Just past them was a path that led up into the hills. At the top of the path, near the edge of the canyon, was the massive oak tree I'd seen in my dreams. Something gold glittered in its branches.

 "This is too easy," Wind said. "We could just hike up there and take it?"

Annabeth's eyes narrowed. "There's supposed be a guardian. A dragon or ..."

That's when a deer emerged from the bushes. It trotted into the meadow, probably looking for grass to eat, when the sheep all bleated at once and rushed the animal. It happened so fast that the deer stumbled and was lost in a sea of wool and trampling hooves.

Grass and tufts of fur flew into the air.

A second later the sheep all moved away, back to their regular peaceful wanderings. Where the deer had been was a pile of clean white bones.

We all exchanged looks.

"Talk about polishing everything," I commented.

"Yeah, like piranhas." Percy said. "Piranhas with wool."

Anabeth cut into our conversation, pointing to one of the lightboats. I took a deep breath.

"Tyson will be Hylia-damned fine!"

"He's going to be fine," I whispered to myself.

There was no way to get past the man-eating sheep without a dangerous risk with no backup, and we decided to climb the cliff. I went first, as Wild had shown me a few tricks. Obviously I couldn't climb almost any surface and hang indefinitely like he can, but I still got a few tricks up my sleeve.

Actually, the trick was just to use the hookshot to bring myself the whole way up. The other two had to climb the old fashioned way while I waited for them. They hauled across the edge and collapsed.

"Ugh," Percy groaned.

"Ouch," Annabeth moaned.

"Garr!" bellowed another voice. 

I jumped from surprise. I held a hand over Percy's mouth, who was going to shout. Annabeth was keeping quiet. The voice was below us, so I slowly began to creep to listen.

After Clarisse spilt it about Grover not being a lady Cyclops, I moved foward.

"Don't you dare..." Annabeth began, but I had already jumped off. I was falling. At the last second, my Deku Leaf came out, and I dropped to the ground.

"Huh? Who are YOU?!" he shouted.

"Me? I'm Wind! Can I attend the wedding? A little birdy told me you were getting married!" I joked.

"Huh? Of course!" he said, and I blinked.

I decided to play along. "Oh, that's great! I have a suit and everything for the occasion, and a gift."

He chuckled, "Perfect! I'm going to go and get some mango chutney for the satyr to be eaten tonight. See you there!"

He almost skipped away, and I breathed a sigh of relief.

"You idiot! Why did you do that?!" Annabeth exclaimed.

"Look. We can't do this by force, so it's by trickery. I slip poison into his drink or something, or strike when he isn't looking, then, I'll explode the boulder-" I said, but Annabeth cut me off.

"With what?" She asked.

"A bomb, of course." I answered.

"But that could kill us!" She argued.

"Alright, fine." I sighed. "No bombs. Besides, I've gained his trust. Why not exploit it?"

"And here's the prisoners!" He continued.

Percy was hidden under one of the sheep, Annabeth ready to draw him out. I was to lead to where they were, and Percy would follow behind. Annabeth would draw him out, and Percy and I would cut them free. It was a solid plan.

"Cool!" I said.

Just as I finished saying that, a voice started to taunt. He was drawn out. Immediately, Percy and I cut the ropes binding them.

"C'mon, we gotta go!" I shouted, running out. 

They were all behind me. While Percy whispered about a plan I've heard about, I rushed to attack. The first thing I did was get out my grappling hook. I whipped it into his eye over and over again, avoiding his blows. He screamed in pain with each whip. 

We reached the bridge. Running to the other end, I quickly shot four arrows, shooting it down. The Cyclops stood in an unbalanced middle. That's when Tyson appeared.

"Oh! Tyson! Thank the gods! Annabeth is hurt." Percy said.

Tyson explained everything, but I was worried we had no time. We continued, healing Annabeth. In the meantime, I summoned the ship towards us. It arrived at the beach. 

"Tyson- lead the sheep away, and let us get to the beach, and meet us there." I commanded, and Tyson awkwardly tried.

"C'mon- we gotta go," I said. "We'll finish up the healing later."

As much as it hurt to act like it wasn't killing me, part of me thought this wasn't over. We all went down towards the beach. We were almost there. 

"Swim for it!" I shouted, and they started to swim away.

In the meantime, Percy, Tyson and I faced Polyphemus. The three Posideon children against a cyclops. 

"HEY!" I shouted. "Polo! Can I call you that? Can you just GIVE UP? That'll be great!"

He looked in the direction of my voice, and threw a boulder.

"That's right! You're blind now! So give up!" I shouted.

I ran foward, slicing him again and again. Hitting him in the back. While he was distracted, I silently told them to go out. In the end, I escaped too, but Clairsse and her big mouth...

Honestly. We all know how this went. He threw a boulder, and the ship sunk.

"Hey, guys." I communicated, "We need travel. Can we get Rainbow?"

And so we did. We broke out onto the surface on hippocampi, going as far as they would take us.