Chapter 5: Threatening

Mary's breath got caught in her throat as she watched the door slowly creak open.

"Did you see that?" She gasped.

"Yes...let's check it out." Molly whispered, sounding shocked but trying to act calm.

They both approached the door, Mary's mouth wide open, thousands of possibilities filling her mind. This could be good, bad, or worse. She was shaking and her cheeks felt hot to the touch. Mary looked to Molly, who kept her eyes locked on the door.

A girl of about average height emerged from the door. She strutted towards them and smiled.

"Hello hello!" She waved and picked up the pace towards them both.

"Uh..hi?" Molly spoke, sounding confused at the cheerful and upbeat tone of the girl.

Mary remained glued to where she was standing, thinking about if this girl could be the person who trapped them there. Upon getting closer, she noticed this girl looked to be around Mary's age of 16 or 17. She had shoulder length, light blonde hair that was parted down the side. Her eyes were bloodshot and Mary could see some wrinkles showing in her forehead from the way she was smiling.

"How are you?" The girl came to a halt in front of them and shifted her gaze between the two.

"Good..." Mary trailed off. She looked down and realized that this girl was wearing the same attire as her and Molly.

"Never been better. Love it here." Molly said her in usual condescending tone.

"That's great. I'm so glad you're enjoying it." She smiled widely at them, showing all of the teeth in her mouth. Her smile freaked Mary out and only made her look insane.

"Who are you anyways?" Molly said after a few moments of silence.

"I'm Sylvia. What are your names?" She said innocently.

"Molly. That's what I go by," she answered, not bothering to even present a friendly tone.

"I'm Mary." Mary said, with a slight smile.

"So, Sylvia...how did you get here? Where did you come from?" Molly spoke up.

"Hmm..." Sylvia said with a smile and playfully blew a strand of hair away from her eyes. "I woke up in some grand looking white hallway. There was a white phone to match the walls right next to me. I got off the floor and it was ringing."

"Well, what did they say?" Mary finally sputtered. She let out a quiet sigh after saying it.

"What did who say?" Sylvia raised an eyebrow in confusion.

"Like, what did they say on the phone?" Mary tried questioning again.

"Oh. I didn't answer it. It stopped ringing right as I woke up."

Molly signed and ran a hand through her hair. Mary tried to comprehend the fact that there was a real, working phone. They could use it to get help. They could finally get out.

"Well, show us where it is! Let's go!" Mary spoke up, excitedly, and looked back and forth between the two.

"Well it wasn't like a normal phone with buttons. It was hanging on the wall and there wasn't any sort of keypad." Sylvia explained.

"Did it ever ring again?" Molly asked, squinting at Sylvia, looking skeptical.

"No. I waited a little while and whoever it was didn't call back."

"So? They might call back! It could be ringing as we speak. Show us where it is!" Mary persuaded her.

"Fine.." Sylvia exhaled, but her cheerful demeanor didn't falter. She bounced a few steps ahead of them with confidence.