Chaper 4: Adventuring

Molly bravely threw open the door while Mary trailed behind her. Mary suddenly felt scared and cold being out of the previous room and back into the empty shell that she had spent the last day in. The bedroom she had found wasn't much, but it felt like a five star hotel to Mary.

Looking up, Mary released they were going in a different direction that she came from. With a strike of curiosity, she felt like questioning Molly again to fill the awkward silence.

"Have you been down this hall before?" She asked, raising an eyebrow.

"Nope." Molly replied, with a dull tone.

"Well, I made a map with the paper and pen I found." Mary proudly held out the drawing she had made. Molly glanced at it.

"Amazing art skills. I hope this place also has an art museum so you can showcase that master piece," Molly said sarcastically, but with a humorous glimmer in her eyes.

Mary only dropped the notepad back down to her side and didn't say a word, tired of Molly's jokes. She didn't realize how much she actually liked the loneliness and silence of being able to wander the building by herself, as creepy and mysterious as it felt. They proceeded to walk down the rest of the hallway, not seeing any doors or rooms in sight for most of the journey.

"The art museum called. They want your master piece framed ASAP." Molly's voice startled Mary, kicking her out of her own thoughts after what seemed like hours.

"Thanks. I'll be sure to give it to them..." Mary trailed off, still trying to recollect herself.

"Great. Just wanted to make sure you were alive. I heard nothing for like twenty minutes and I thought maybe you bailed."

"No. This is basically my only option. I think I've explored everything besides this hallway."

"I came down from this hallway, but there was another hallway down here that I haven't explored yet. Until we reach that point, consider me the official tour guide," Molly scoffed.

"Oh okay. You should lead me to the art museum then." Mary looked over at Molly, who rolled her eyes.

"Anyways, what do I look like?" Molly asked.

"Uh...you have dark, curly brown hair, and brown eyes. You're also pretty slim. And you're wearing the same thing as me. White shirt and white pants." Mary tried to answer as best as she could, although the question did catch her off guard.

"Good. I'm glad they provided me with the standard uniform. Wouldn't want to be bullied by my fellow art majors."

"Uh...yes." Mary held back a small laugh, but nonetheless was still annoyed by Molly's humor attempts.

"Also, like how old do you think I look?"

"I would say probably around 17 or 18. You're also pretty tall." Mary answered.

"Hmm..." Molly looked as thought she was processing the answer. Then she turned to look at Mary. "You look like you're around 16 or 17. If I had to guess your height, I would say you're probably 5'5 or 5'6."

"Interesting," was all Mary could think of to say.

As they reached the end of the hall, Mary's legs ached from the walk they had endured. She walked over to the nearest wall and sat down.

"I'm going to take a break. I'm tired."

"Already? We haven't even started." Molly chuckled and stood in front of Mary.

Rolling her eyes, Mary responded, "Too bad. I'm still taking a break. Also, I just realized...I haven't had any food or water since I got here."

"Same." Molly shrugged.

"Wait, how long do you think you've been here?"

"Probably around the same time as you. We probably have been here for around a day. Yesterday after I got done exploring, I found the room I woke up in and slept there." Molly said.

"I wonder what time it actually is. It could be night right now for all we know." Mary chimed in.

"Yeah. I have yet to encounter any clocks. If you do, please let me know." Molly said.

Mary rolled her eyes again, and put her head back against the wall. Her relaxation was interrupted when she felt like she was being watched. She opened her eyes and realized Molly was still standing directly in front of her.

"What?" Mary looked up, meeting her gaze.

"Nothing. I just sorta zoned out."

"Oh. What were you thinking about?"

"I don't know. Just thinking about if there's any cameras in this place or something." Molly wondered out loud.

"I've briefly considered that, but I have yet to see any cameras or microphones."

"Maybe if there are any they're invisible or something. Even though we can't remember anything, I can't imagine we came here on our own free will. I bet whoever is behind this would want to watch us," Molly explained.

"Good point, but I'm still so confused on how I was just randomly standing next to a door with no memory. Do you think I meant to come into...whatever this place is, and I like hit my head or something?"

"Did you try the door?"

"Yes, but it wouldn't open." Mary answered.

"Then I'm thinking your theory probably isn't true. If you did try to purposefully come into this place, I'm sure you would have been able to get out. I don't think you hit your head, but I think we both have some sort of memory loss. What's the word...uh..." Molly trailed off, lost in thought.

"Amnesia?" Mary suggested.

"Yeah, that."

"Most definitely. I'm not sure how though."

Mary laid her head back against the wall again, squinting her eyes from the bright lights above her. She started to feel a little dizzy, and ran her fingers through her hair. Suddenly she was hit by an unexpected thought.

"Wait. How do I know that you're not the one who trapped me in here?" Mary asked, suddenly sitting up and staring at Molly.

"What? Why would it be me?"

"I don't know, you're the only person I've met here so far. You could be playing dumb, for all I know." Mary suggested.

"Well, how do I know that you're not the one keeping me here?" Molly met her eyes with an icy glare.

"I'm not. Believe me when I say I have no memory before I got here."

"You're more suspicious than I am. You're quite and you act weird." Molly rolled her eyes and turned away from Mary.

"Sorry that I don't feel like making jokes every ten seconds." Mary retorted. Feeling hurt from what Molly had said, she stood up and tried to keep as much distance as possible. Mary had only known this girl for about an hour, so she could be unpredictable.

Molly turned, most likely hearing the sudden movement from Mary, and looked at her with her arms folded.

"Huh? Are you worried I'm gonna attack you or something?"

"No. I just..." Mary sighed.

"For the record, I am not the one behind this. For all I know, I could've gone insane and you could just be a hallucination. But either way, it is most definitely not me." Molly said.

"I didn't mean to say it offensively. I was just trying to rule out possible options." Mary explained in a tired tone.

"We better keep ruling them out then. The hallway we haven't explored yet is right over there," Molly pointed.

She started walking towards the hall, and Mary followed after her. Once again, they were both padded along the floor in silence. It felt more awkward than it did before. As they turned the bend in the hallway, Mary kept looking down at her feet and occasionally looked up. She wanted to work up the courage to make a witty and confident joke like Molly did, but came up with nothing.

Mary looked over at her, and suddenly Molly came to a halt and gasped. Mary stood with her mouth open, confused, and then turned to look at the hallway. She noticed a door that was only a few feet away from them, and it was opening.