[33] irl

🗒 ❛ 1:55 ༉‧₊˚✧—

🗒 ❛ 1:55 ༉‧₊˚✧

ellie joseph

after about 6 hours at the beach, we all decided it was time to head home. by the time we got back to the hotel, it was already 6 in the evening, the whole of us all tired and partly sunburnt.

sophia and i walked into our shared room, throwing our bags down by the beds. i plopped down lazily, sophia chuckling as she turned to head for the bathroom. "i'm gonna go take a shower, seawater makes my hair itch." she grinned. i held a thumbs up to her, wiping the thin layer of  sweat off my forehead with my other hand as i watched her walk away.

after a couple minutes i sat up, leaning down and grabbing the aloe vera jell from my bag before popping the lid open and squirting some onto my skin, rubbing it up and down my arms and legs to relieve the burning sensation that the sun had oh-so-kindly given me.

just as i closed the lid, i heard a knock on the door. throwing the bottle onto my bed, i walked over, looking through the peephole only to see a head of black, curly hair.

i stepped away for a moment. "who is it?" i asked, my voice loud enough for the person on the other side to hear.

"it's jack. you said you wanted to talk."

i inhaled sharply, relieving a sigh from my lungs as i bit my bottom lip, chewing the dead skin as i debated opening the door.

why did i say we had to talk.

i reached for the doorknob, hesitating for a second before twisting it gently, pulling the door open just enough for him to catch it in time before it closed on him.

i turned around before i could see him, heading toward my bed and suitcase without a single word. i felt his eyes follow me.

"el—"

"i didn't do anything." i spun around quickly before i could think, finally facing and looking him in the eyes for the first time the entire day. i felt my voice become shaky as my eyes became moist.

damn it, why do i always cry?

i saw his face immediately soften, taking a step closer.

"listen,"

i shook my head. "no, you listen." i stopped him, holding a shaky finger up as i fought to keep my tears of frustration in. "i didn't. do. anything."

he stayed quiet, watching me as my lip quivered slightly. i slowly sat down on the edge of the bed, turning my gaze to the floor before i spoke again. "she messaged me. called me a homewrecker and a whore. she was acting like she owned you." i said quietly, shaking my head as i thought back to the things she said.  "i was defending you. i was defending myself. i was defending us."