Obsession Chapter 9

Start from the beginning

"Please, call me Ellen", she smiled.

"We're just stopping by for a change of clothes - we're going to watch a movie", Cain said, his left arm snailing its way around my waist. I was thankful: I sort of felt like I needed the support of something familiar (however alarming it might be that it actually felt familiar).

"OK, honey - just be back by eight, alright?" She smiled again, then took a few steps to the right to let us pass.

I looked at Cain and saw his grin falter a little for a second, and he nodded severely at his mother. Under the curious eyes of the people in the house, Cain and I then walked up the stairs and through the corridors to his room. Once the door was closed behind us, I breathed a huge sigh of relief, and Cain laughed at me, his whole being glowing with happiness and pride as he hugged me.

"What are you so happy about?" I accused, and pushed him away. "That was horrible!"

"Oh, come on, Lily. It wasn't that bad", he teased, again closing the distance between us.

"Yes it was", I muttered, not daring to look up into his rudely happy eyes - for I knew that if I did, I wouldn't be able to stay irritated with him, as I wanted.

Unfortunately for me, he wouldn't have that. He put his hand under my chin and tilted my head back so that I had to look at him. And as our eyes met, I felt my insides melting. How did he do that? He held me like that for a few moments, before he slowly leaned down to kiss my lips. It was sweet and gentle, but when we broke away, I was still out of breath. And yet, Cain was breathing so slowly one could almost think that he was asleep, just listening to it, which made me think that either, Cain had some super-breath thingy going on, that made it for him to only have to inhale, like, once every five minutes, or, I was getting way more excited by us kissing than him, which was kind of sad, and put me at a disadvantage. I would bet my money on the latter.

"Go - put on a shirt, or something", I said, awkwardly, and he smirked, sensing my discomfort - but he still complied, and went over to the open closet doors to pick out some clothes.

I went over to, and sat down on, his sickeningly comfortable bed, and watched, not unhappily, as he slipped out of his over-used old sweats and into a pair of boxers, jeans and a muscle-hugging T-shirt. At the same time as I was watching him, his eyes were on me, and both of our desires were evident to the other.

"So", I said before anything happened, "what do you want to see?"

"Anything's fine", he said, and then blushed faintly. Blushed? Why? Was there anything else that he wanted to say? Well, well. I decided that I would let it slip for now. Instead I smirked at him.

"So..." I said, again. "Your mom knew my name?" I asked, amusement clear in my voice. "Why? You've been talking about me?" It was part teasing, part actual question - I'd been wondering about it earlier.

He shifted his feet a little, uncomfortable.

"Maybe", he mumbled, not meeting his eyes.

I couldn't help but smile: he was so sweet.

"What happens at eight?" I asked then, curious. It had seemed to be something serious, and my suspicions were confirmed when Cain's face fell again, and he frowned darkly.

"There's a funeral", he said shortly, but not unkindly.

That must be why there were so many people in the house.

"Oh. I'm sorry, I didn't kno-" He cut me off.

"Of course you didn't know. It's alright." He studied me for a second, then said, "You could come if you'd like."