Chapter 9: The Announcement

Start from the beginning

I take my seat. "This is all a bit over-the-top; don't you think?" I whisper to Julie. Just as I say it, a large, blaring noise startles me nearly out of my chair. In the doorway stands a piper in full regalia and I recognize the blast as the opening notes of Scotland the Brave, the Scottish national anthem. There are so many Scottish descendants on the island including our family, it's a tune we know well, we hear it at everything from concerts to weddings, high school graduations and ceilidhs.

"I'll share the good news very soon. But first, we feast!" My uncle cries as the piper marches into the hall, followed by waiters carrying platters of lobster.

"Oh my God," I murmur at the scene, as the elegantly plated crustaceans are placed in front of the delighted faces of my relatives.

"Remember when this used to be considered 'poor food,'" Rob says with a chuckle, grabbing the shoulders of Uncle Jack as he walks around the table. "We'd close the windows every time Dad brought lobsters home; we didn't want the neighbours to smell it. We were ashamed! Times have certainly changed. Well, this isn't Dad's lobster — it's poached in butter and wine in a cognac peppercorn sauce, with crab legs and caviar. Enjoy, Family!"

I hate lobster. And crab. And caviar, all seafood really. Before I have time to feel disappointed, a steak dinner is placed in front of me. I glance gratefully at Rob and he gives me a quick wink. He remembered that small detail about me, and it makes me smile.

The steak is cooked to buttery perfection, served with a robust and spicy red wine and I savour both. I haven't known such extravagance in a long time, not since Clive was a respected professor and we were able to travel, enjoy high-end restaurants in large cities; before our lives became so painfully pinched and small. Mom was right. I could get used to this.

We eat the meal in contented silence, excitement building for the big announcement. Finally, when the coffee and dessert is served, Rob rises to his feet again.

"You've been very patient with me, so I won't keep you waiting any longer," he says, taking a deep breath. A smile spreads across his face like the sun coming out from behind a storm cloud. He clasps his hands together. "I've come into some money, Family. A lot of money. More than I could ever spend in several lifetimes." He pauses. "And I've decided to share it all with you."

An excited shout rises from the room. My sister grabs my arm at the same time I hear a gasp from my mother on the other side of me. I glance at Clive, his jaw is practically on the table.

"Many years ago, I invented something when I worked at IBM in New York. It has to do with computer hardware, I won't bore you with the details, but my name was left off the patent and I was cheated out of millions," he explains. "I've done well for myself, but I could never let this injustice go, the unfairness of it all," he shook his head, grimacing at the memory. "So, I decided to right this historic wrong. I sued and Family —" He pauses to look at us dramatically. "I won the lawsuit. It's more money than you can imagine. It's settled, everything is confirmed. More details are coming, but just know this: This is real and it is happening."

We are stunned into silence. Finally, Uncle Jack speaks. "Rob, come on. You're kidding, right?"

He shakes his head. "I'm serious as a heart attack. We are in the final stages of tying up the loose ends. I have to fly to New York — tonight, as a matter of fact — to finalize everything and sign all the documents, but we expect everything to be finished in the coming days and then you will each receive your share."

For a bunch of people who are apparently coming into money, we're very quiet. One word comes to me like a bolt of lightening in my brain: No. I have the sinking feeling that Uncle Rob is being swindled. He looks so happy, I feel crushed. How could someone do this to him, make him believe this outrageous lie? Certainly, that must be the explanation. Despite what my uncle says, it's not real and it's not happening. How could it be? Nothing this good ever happens to anyone, especially me.