Chapter 9: The Announcement

I'm sitting with my family at a large, elegantly set dining room table in front of a fireplace large enough to park a truck in. Dinner is about to be served and there's a buzz of excited conversation as we wait for my uncle Rob and his wife to show up.

Earlier in the day we were each given the keys to our own massive suite in the five-star resort. I was disappointed I had to share mine with Clive, but at least it was so huge there was little chance of us getting in each other's way —there was a king-sized bed and additional room with a queen bed. That's where he was sleeping and to my surprise, he didn't put up a fight.

"I had no idea your uncle had this kind of money," Clive said after letting out a low whistle while he looked around the suite. "This place costs a fortune to stay in for one night and he rented out the entire place. He must be a millionaire."

"I told you that already," I said irritably, throwing my bag on the huge bed. He never listens. Before we could get into another argument, there was a knock at the door. Clive answered it and came back into the bedroom, grinning. "Someone just gave us these!" He handed me an envelope and tore his open. "Spend an afternoon at the spa or on the golf course. Treat yourself. Love, Uncle Rob," I read. My spirits lifted. I hadn't been to a spa in years. Treat myself? The concept was new and exciting.

"Golf for me," he said excitedly. He even bounced over and gave me a quick kiss on the cheek before heading out the door. I hadn't seen him smile like that in years and for a second, he looked like a little boy. I remembered why I fell in love with him.

After a day of massage, a mani-pedi and fresh blow-out, I'm also feeling warm and glowy; inside and out. "I could get used to this," my mom whispers to me, holding out her glass and wiggling it for more champagne. Surprised, I reach for an open bottle and give her a splash more. I'd never seen her drink this much in a day, she is giggling non-stop.

I look around the table at my extended family including Rob's son and daughter. They have the same dazed, excited look on their face as we do, and I can tell they didn't know what's going on either.

I hadn't seen the rest of my uncles and my aunt together in one place for a while, and we spent the cocktail hour speaking in hushed tones about what could possibly be going on. Before we could speculate too deeply, we are ushered to the table and asked to take a seat.

A commotion comes from outside suddenly and the uncles jump to their feet to peer out the floor-to-ceiling windows behind us. I crane my neck to see what's happening.

"Is that—"

"It can't be."

"It is! By the Jesus, Rob's coming in a helicopter!"

Sure enough, there was Rob in an expensively tailored suit and long, black coat extending a hand to his much younger wife to help her out of a sleek, black helicopter. Their heads were bowed against the wind. 

The murmur of the crowd takes on a fever pitch as Rob throws open the doors. "Welcome, Family!" He beams like a showman, spreading his hands wide. He approaches the table and hugs his two brothers and sister, before greeting his kids. He makes his way to us, ruffling my hair like he used to do when I was a kid, shaking hands with Clive and hugging Julie and Mom. "Annie, I'm so glad you're here. I know things didn't work out with my brother and he treated you badly. I'm hoping today makes up for some of that."

"It certainly does," my Mom says.

"You ain't seen nothing yet," he says with a wink before taking his place at the head of the table. His young wife Kat is already there, chatting with my uncles and smiling like a benevolent queen surveying her subjects. "Sit, sit," Rob implores us. "Let's get started."