iv. blythe's thinking tree

𝘿𝘼𝙍𝙆𝙎𝙄𝘿𝙀

CHAPTER FOUR—"blythe's
thinking tree" ❝

▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇ LATER THAT SAME DAY, BLYTHE COULDN'T SHAKE THE LINGERING FEELING THAT SHE WAS IN DANGER. liams words constantly rattled in her mind, she couldn't think of anything else.

she currently sat on a tree branch, leaning against the base of the tree.

enid had called it her thinking tree since she'd go up there so often.

staring up at the clouds, blythe battled with her own brain. she knew in her head that liam was a terrible person, but all the good memories together fought against her mind.

she thought on how ron defended her. he felt like a brother she never wanted.

then her brain shifted to carl who was simply there, he listened to everything going on. he was observant.

bly could still feel his warm hands on her skin, the thought of it made her cheeks heat up.

suddenly that feeling was overtaken by the feeling of liams hands roughly assaulting her body.

she instantly became nauseous, remembering his lips bruising her neck and chest.

"hey, rapunzel," a voice called.

she snapped from her thoughts and looked down and none other than carl grimes.

the boy looked up at her with a smile.

"grimes?" she called down, "what are you doing here?"

he shrugged, and began to climb up the tree, "tried finding you."

he lifted himself next to blythe, "and well, I found you."

she chuckled, "how dare you invade my thinking tree."

carl sheepishly grinned, "I can leave if you'd like me too—"

bly grabbed his sleeve, "no, stay please."

he nodded, shifting his body in the tree.

they stayed like this for a long period, no talking, just listening.

her eyes found his, she could tell he was holding back questions. she noticed how his face was almost stern and in question all the time. his eyes were careful, looking everywhere and mapping the location out. a side effect of the apocalypse.

"spit it out, grimes," she said, "what is it."

carl frowned, "after we left, did he hit you?"

blythe shook her head, "he just threatened me."

"really? that's all?" he asked.

she shrugged, "I mean, he forced me to hug him, and kiss him, and make him food–" she trailed on.

carl shook his head, "I'm sorry, but your boyfriend is a big dick."

blythe laughed, throwing her head back, "I know it."

they became quiet again, the silence becoming so loud that blythe could hear her ears ringing. it wasn't uncomfortable, just neither of the two could even hear themselves breathing.

"carl," she said.

he looked over at his name, "yeah?" he said with a smile.

thank you for trying to help me she thought.