Chapter 13 High Charity

The Phantoms took off as a Gravity Lift dropped the Master Chief and the Elite Shadow onto the elevated platforms. . . There laid the Prophet of Mercy, a Flood Infection Form violently strangling him as the Prophet of Truth escaped to the center of High Charity. . .

Zayda: . . . Mercy.

The Warriors looked down upon the decrepit old alien, not the holy Hierarch of the Covenant.

Chief: Your pal, where's he going?

Mercy: . . . Earth. . . To finish what we started. And this time. . . none of you will be left behind.

The Shadow stomped on the Infection Form and burned a hole through the prophet's head with her Beam Rifle.

Zayda: Fool. . .

Their AI appeared on a nearby podium, gazing at the distant Phantom.

Cortana: That structure in the center of the city, it's-

Zayda: Forerunner. A Forerunner ship. It's one of the many relics we've managed to reactivate.

Cortana: And Truth is heading right for it. If he leads the Covenant Fleet to Earth, they won't stand a chance. We need to stop him!

Chief: That Brute has the Index. And Miranda and Johnson. He can activate the ring.

The hologram thumbed at the UNSC frigate behind them.

Cortana: If he does, I'll detonate In Amber Clad's reactor just like we did the Autumn's. The blast will destroy this and the ring.

Zayda: Is that what happened to the first Halo?

Cortana: Yeah. It's not a very original plan, but we know it'll work.

The Master Chief reached for the AI, only for her to shake her head, his hand flinching back.

Cortana: No, I don't want to chance a remote detonation. I need to stay here.

Zayda: . . . Allow me to be of assistance. Construct, project my voice across High Charity. . .

Hear me, Elites and all who stand beside the Sangheili! The Great Journey is nothing but a lie. The Prophets have used our faith in our forefathers to turn us into slaves, and now that we've served our purpose, the Prophets have betrayed us. . .

And so, they must die. The Demon is here, and he will send the Prophet of Truth to his grave. And I, the Shadow of the Elites, will light the path to it.

A Pelican Dropship crashed into platform as the speech came to a close, its hanger bay exploding open. . . Flood pouring out of the ship.

Zayda: The parasite!

Cortana: Flood-controlled dropships are touching down all over the city. That creature beneath the Library, that Gravemind, used us! We were just a diversion! In Amber Clad was always its intended vector.

Chief: We need to move, fast.

Cortana: There's a conduit connecting this tower to the ship. Head back inside, I'll lead you to it.

They moved up the path to the main platform, a doorway opening with Grunts rushing out to try and hold back the Flood, only for them to be slaughtered by torrents of lead! The Master Chief unleashed a barrage of grenade from his Brute Shot, scrambling the Flood as Zayda split them into halves with beams from her sniper! The Spartan spotted a weapons cache in the Pelican, grabbing two Shotguns and tossing one to 'Zazumee.