Chapter 6 The Oracle & The Traitor

The blast door to the airlock opened, the strike force carefully entering. They were treated by nothing but a horrid smell. Rtas's mandible flared, as did the visor of Zayda's helmet.

Arbiter: What is it?

Rtas: That stench. . . I've smelt it before.

Uneasily, Thel raised his Energy Sword and the Shadow vented her Plasma Repeater. The moved further, eyeing a jade tank of bioluminescent particles. Stains of deep green tainted the walls, the eyes of the many Elites narrowing while the Grunts were none the wiser. Upon moving past this room, they were met by a deep fog. Smoke was entering through the vents and blocking their view. All guards immediately rose as they heard plasma fire coupled with unnatural shrieks. . .

Elite 1: By the rings. . . What is that?

Zayda: I pray that we don't find out.

Onwards was a laboratory, the task force dropping down to its lower level and eyeing the corpses of the heretics all around.

Zayda: . . .

Elite 2: What happened here?

Grunt 1: Me have bad feeling about this.

Grunt 2: You always have bad feeling! You had bad feeling about this morning's food nipple!

Before they could move further, a device descended to the ground ahead of them, everyone freezing. . . Suddenly, it projected a perfect replica of Sesa 'Refumee.

Grunt 1: See! Heretic!

The Grunt fired at the hologram, his shots hitting but doing nothing.

Rtas: Hold your fire. Hold your fire!

It took Zayda snatching away the Plasma Pistol to stop the Grunt.

Zayda: Easy. . . It's a holodrone.

The eyes of the Heretic locked with those of the Arbiter.

Heretic: I wondered who the Prophets would send to silence me. An Arbiter. . . I'm flattered.

Rtas: Come out, so we may kill you.

Heretic: *laughs* Get in line.

He vanished, sounds of crawling taking his place. . .

Arbiter: The Parasite!

Elite 1: Leader!

Rtas: Stand firm. The Flood is upon us. . .

Infection Forms dropped from the ceiling, each of them jumping for the Elites! The Grunts cowered behind their superiors as Plasma Rifles fired, burning away the parasite! Quickly realizing the living Elites were not going to fall, the beings moved towards the corpses and entered through their open wounds. . .

Zayda: Quickly, destroy the deceased!

Her Plasma Repeater melted through the bodies as they attempted to rise and seized, taking out the Infection Forms with them! A Combat Form dropped down from above, the Arbiter shoving his Allie's aside and slashing, splitting the parasite in two!

Arbiter: Heretic fools! What have they done?

The blast door ahead opened to reveal an elevator as the Flood ceased their attack.

Rtas: Go, Arbiter. With the Flood here, we can't risk all going in. I'll join you when reinforcements arrives.

Thel 'Vadamee turned to his Shadow, who nodded. He and she entered without hesitation. The door slid shut behind them as they stepped onto the two floored octagonal platform. It slowly began to descend. . .