Chapter 15. Tapeworms

Tapeworms

One of the most common feline health problems inside your cat is tapeworm.

tapeworms live in your cat's small intestine and sometimes grow up to two feet long.

Symptoms of a tapeworm infection can be so subtle you won't even know they have it.

The easiest way to tell if your cat has tapeworms is to look at its feces and around its anus. If you see small white worms or what look like grains of rice or sesame seeds, your cat likely has tapeworms.

Another indicator is vomiting and weight loss.

Treatment options include injection, oral, or topical medication. 

Tapeworms are usually a result of a cat swallowing a flea, so before you start to treat the tapeworm you must treat the fleas. 

Other common types of worms in cats are:

Roundworms. 

Resembling spaghetti, adult worms are three to four inches long. There are several ways cats can become infected. Nursing kittens can get roundworms from an infected mother’s milk, while adult cats can acquire them by ingesting an infected rodent or the feces of an infected cat.

lungworms 

These reside in the lungs of a cat. Most cats will not show any signs of having lungworms, but some can develop a cough. Snails and slugs are popular intermediate hosts of this type of parasite, but cats are usually infected after eating a bird or rodent who has ingested an intermediate host.