Chapter 3 Cats and Ringworm

Ringworm is a fungus and is the most common contagious skin infection in cats affecting their skin, hair or nails. This can easily be passed to humans and generally causes ring-like lesions on the skin which are very itchy and can leave scaring on the human skin for up to a year in extreme cases.

 Spores from infected animals can be shed easily and picked up by your cat. Once on your cat they can be shed onto bedding, furniture, carpets etc. The spores can live up to 24 months. They love humid, warm environments as these conditions encourage the growth of the fungus.

 Some cats can be carriers and spred the fungus without ever showing signs of the infection.

 Ringworm is transmitted by direct contact with the fungal spores. If your cat has ringworm and you stroke him, groom him and then touch the brush, touch his bedding etc you may become infected. Because the spore last for so long (24 months) it is easy for animals to catch and pass on this infection.

 Most healthy adult cats have some natural resistance to ringworm and never develop symptoms from the fungus. Young cats under a year old are most often infected. Cats with a suppressed immune system from diseases or overuse of steroids are also more susceptible to contracting the disease. Senior cats, free-roaming cats, and those who are under stress, malnourished or have other diseases such as parasites or viral infections also appear to be at increased risk. In addition, genetic factors may play a role, as Persians appear to be more susceptible to ringworm.

 Cats with ringworm may have skin lesions which can appear different depending on where they occur and how long they have been present. The classic symptom is a small round lesion and bald patch. The lesion will often have scaly skin in the center. Small pustules are often found in the lesion. The lesion may start as a small spot and continue to grow in size. The lesion may or may not be irritated and itchy. Lesions are most common on the head, ears, and tail. In some infections, the fungus will not be in a circle and can spread across the face, lips, chin, or nose. Hair loss may be mild or severe. In some cases the first sign may be excessive shedding, and hairballs may occur when large parts of the body are affected. Scratching at the ears is also common. Ringworm can also occur in the nails, often causing them to grow malformed.

 In healthy kittens and cats with small isolated lesions, the lesion is often treated with a topical cream containing an antifungal such as miconazole or thiabendazole. In addition, it is important to treat any underlying conditions, provide good nutrition, and prevent the spread to other animals and humans.

The recommended topical treatment is lime sulfur dips. These dips have a bad odor and can temporarily turn the coat a yellowish color, but they are extremely effective and should be used if recommended by your veterinarian. Alternatives to lime sulfur dips include miconazole shampoos and rinses.

 Oral antifungal agents are generally recommended for any cat with severe generalized lesions, for longhaired cats, and in cases where the nails are infected. Oral antifungal agents may also be recommended when there is no response to topical therapy after 2-4 weeks of treatment. Itraconazole is the preferred drug of choice, and terbafine may also be used. Griseofulvin is another alternative, but has a higher risk of adverse effects.

 Treatment is generally continued until there have been two negative cultures a week apart.

 For humans, your doctor will also prescribe topical and oral anti fungal treatments, similar to the cats. These can also be bought over the counter in most pharmacies.

 Because the ringworm fungus can survive for such long periods in the environment, it is critical that an effective cleaning plan be used in all infections. Spores are very light and are carried in the air, so wherever there is dust and hair, there may be spores. Whenever cleaning, avoid sweeping and other types of cleaning that may actually spread spores through the air. Vacuuming, damp mopping  are generally recommended. Carpets should be steam cleaned and disinfected. Heating and cooling ducts and furnaces should be professionally vacuumed and filters. Furniture and curtains should be vacuumed and the vacuum cleaner bags should be disposed of straight away.

 All grooming tools, bedding, kennels, cat carriers, and cages should be thoroughly cleaned and disinfected with bleach