Sixteen

I clenched my teeth and took a deep breath. “Sein…”

            He sighed too. “I know. I shouldn’t have called. It won’t happen again.”

            “Okay.”

            “Good night.”

            “Night.”

            Even with tears soaking my pillow I managed to fall asleep. I guess sadness caused exhaustion also.

            “Max,” I heard Simon’s soft but urgent voice. I answered. At least I think I did. “I made you breakfast. I’m sorry I got mad.”

            “Don’t worry about it. Go to sleep.”

            “What?” I forced my eyelids open. They felt like they weighed a ton.

            “What?” I repeated his words.

            Simon snorted. “You told me to go to sleep.”

            “I meant school…it’s…”

            “It’s Thursday. My class got canceled. You should get up and eat. You have a meeting with Dad this morning. Remember?” Right. Sighing, I tossed the comforter aside before sitting up, reaching for the food.

            “Thank you.” I just wanna sleep.

            “You’re welcome.”

            Simon sat cross-legged on the bed facing me. He began to talk and I couldn’t stop smiling. He wasn’t upset anymore and that was all that mattered to me. He told me about the kid he had issues with in his psych class. They’re friends now, apparently, and apparently close enough that Simon knows his sexuality.

            “Yeah?” I asked, curious.

            “He said he found me attractive.”

            Well then. That is certainly a turn of events. “What did you say?”

            “I said ‘thank you’.”

            “That’s a mature response,” I told him.

            That seemed to have gotten him confused. “You’re supposed to say thank you to a compliment.”

            “Yeah, but not everyone takes kindly of a same-sex person complimenting them on their looks. It can get pretty nasty.”

            “Oh. He also said if I were into him he would ask me out. I thought that was funny.” I studied his features. They went from amused to contemplative until the corners of his mouth turned down a little.

            “You okay?”

            “I’m not sure if I’m attracted to people. I know when I think someone is attractive but that’s far as it goes. I don’t get interested.”

            “Maybe that will change if you get to know someone really well and you have a strong connection with them, something that goes far beyond physical attraction. You’re smart, and intelligent, Sy. It’s always more difficult for intelligent people like yourself to find someone. I know you and I know if you ever get to the point where you want to be with someone it’ll be more than just having a girlfriend or boyfriend. It’s going to be someone you want for the rest of your life. Promise me you won’t give up until you’re sure, okay?”

            “Okay.”

            I smiled. I could’ve told him more and specifics but that was something I wanted him to find out all by himself. We are never too old to learn things about ourselves. More importantly, we are never too old to find ourselves.

            “I’m going to shower…you know, be a grown up.”

            “Yeah. I’ll be in my room…you know, not being one.”

            “Ha-Ha.”

            ***

            I’m just going to eat and go right to bed. I told myself as I parked I got out the SUV and headed inside. One meeting led to another meeting that led to another meeting. I hated that side of business. Just put me in my office and give me a computer and that is all I need in my life. I should hire someone to take care of that for me. I wonder what Dad would say.

            10…9…8…7 I counted the seconds down on the microwave. The doorbell interrupted me at seven. I should disconnect it. I hesitated to answer it. I never thought the day would come where a doorbell ringing would be a bad omen.

            Groaning, I dragged my feet all the way to the door.

            And yeah. Definitely bad omen. Bad, bad, bad.

            I’m going to stop answering the door when the bell rings.

            “Daniel.”

A/N

As you guys would say...the feels....love Simon hehe