Seven

BURNING FLAME

            After Friday, I didn’t see Sein for an entire week. Go figure. That weekend I spent at my dad’s. Simon pestered me and he reminded me how I never spent any time at the house anymore like I used to. He even had a twelve slide PowerPoint with all the reasons I had given in the past why I couldn’t spend the weekend. It was titled: Maxwell MacQucen’s Excuses. Sometimes I hate how good his memory was. I felt guilt afterwards, not because I spent the weekend with them but because it was amazing and I missed it. I made a promise to Simon and myself not to let so much time pass by that I forget what it felt like.

            It was during an intense scrabble match between the three of us that Sein had told me that he had just received a call from his boss on a Sunday about a meeting he had to attend the following Monday afternoon. It was a good opportunity for him and in the end he got himself and his agency a new client; that client being a multimillion-dollar company.

            God, I missed him. Talking to him over the phone was still comforting. I still loved it and it was still amazing. It was nothing compared to being in his space, though. Nothing could compare to the crinkles next to his, the upturn of his inviting mouth, his big hands and his long fingers that are always messing with something or another when he was nervous, his posture, his aura, and just everything about him that enchanted me to another degree whenever he was in front of me. There is still so much I need to learn about him and yet I still thought he was amazing. That alone was a spell he casted on me, unbeknownst.

            Sein got back from Miami Thursday night. When he called he sounded like a drunk teenager at a frat party that didn’t know his dick from his ass. That’s how tired he was. I listened to him talk about the sand on the beach near his hotel for ten minutes before I sent him to bed. Nothing about the damn sand made sense and I refuse to repeat it or even think about it.

            Friday I woke up early for two reasons. One, I had a meeting an hour away and then I had a meeting at my office with some ad firm that Lola will have to brief me about. Sometimes I had no idea what was happening until minutes before it was supposed to happen.

To Sein: Buenos días! If you wake up before 12, text me. If you wake up after 12, call me.

            My phone rang at a quarter to three while I was going inside my house from the garage. Sein’s picture and name lit up my screen.

            “Hi,” I answered him.

            I heard him inhale deeply before he responded with a groggy, sexy voice. “Hi.” He paused. “How are you?”

            “I’m okay,” I answered. “How are you? Did you just wake up?”

            “I’m okay. I didn’t just wake up but I’m just getting up. Have any plans later?” He asked. I could picture him rubbing his hand over his face to get rid of some of the restlessness.

            “To see you,” I answered.

            Sein was quiet for longer than was okay. I felt nervous and excited at the same time. That was either the wrong answer or a very right answer and it was up to Sein to let me know.

            “I’ll be over as soon as I shower and get something in my stomach.”

            “I can order food or I can make you mac and cheese.”

            “Maxwell, I want real food. I’m starving,” He chuckled softly. It was so low and so soft. Something about it had me halting mid-step. Maybe it was because there was a fondness in his tone or because the words slipped out of his mouth like they were something familiar. No, as if I was familiar.