Ten

DÉJÀ VU

            Sein could be a talker and he could be a listener. It never mattered to him, which was happening or if either was even happening. For me, I preferred to listen than to talk, though I did my share of talking, too. There was always a look in his eyes when I had his full attention that propelled me to keep going about what the fuck ever, whether it was important or not. I loved that about him. And it was him. He was simply a beautiful and amazing man. That was why I knew something was wrong when I picked him up from the station. He wasn’t talking and he wasn’t listening either. We drove to the dealership as planned to pick up the custom Range Rover I ordered. The way things were looking my car had no chance of surviving the upcoming winter and I had no plans to expose it to that either. I also had been putting more mileage on it than I was happy with.

            I let it go until my two beautiful babies were parked inside the garage and I had Spanish food from that same restaurant laid out on the table.

            “Wanna talk about it?” I asked, carefully removing the lid without turning the container over. I learn from my mistakes.

            “Not really.”

            “Oh.”

            That was not what I expected, a straightforward and negative answer. Then I heard a sound I realized I had been hearing all evening. It wasn’t anything strange since he usually never answered his phone around me unless it was a call from overseas but he would at least check to see who it was. So I checked my coat pocket hanging over the back of one of the barstools for my phone but it was blank. Sein dug into his pocket and instead of looking at his phone he handed it to me.

            Danny. The screen read. At first glance something cold went through me then I had miles of question running through my head and I couldn’t figure out which one to ask first or whether I needed to defend myself.

            “That’s my ex, Daniel. The one I told you about?” He asked.

            “Yeah?”

            “He asked if we could have lunch together. I agreed.”

            “Okay?” Don’t assume, Max.

            “He wanted to talk because he wanted to work on getting back together.”

            “And?”

            “I didn’t answer him.”

            “I’m confused. You’ve been in a mad mood because your ex from two years ago wanted to get back with you? Am I missing something? From what you’ve told me you seemed pretty content with where you wanted to be and you knew what you wanted. Now you don’t know? You couldn’t say a simple no? And you’ve been acting like this because of what exactly?”

            “Maxwell, no. What are you even…no. I was pissed because I met him behind your back and I thought about not mentioning it to you because I know what that would feel like to you. I felt disgusted. I don’t want to keep anything from you. I had no idea that the conversation would go there. It had nothing to do with me being confused. Nothing like that. I had my reasons for not answering, but no. Gosh, Max.”

            “Reasons like what?” I could feel the heat surging through my body like a volcano ready to erupt.

            “Reasons like that’s ridiculous. I know what I want. I know who I want. You’ve had me since our first conversation.”