1: A Fresh Start

The loud cheers and excitement of children could be heard from the next room over. You sat in the employees only room, sighing. You knew there were going to be so many spills and messes to clean up. You were so exhausted. Working overtime wasn't easy, especially for only $8.50 an hour.

You worked at a local diner, not too far from where you lived. You didn't enjoy working there, but it was the only place that was hiring. Barely making ends meet, you had to be able to support yourself. You couldn't continue with this job for much longer, being evicted was coming up soon, and you needed to avoid that.

A beeping could be heard, coming from your wrist. Clicking the button on your watch, you listened as the beeping subsided. You let out a heavy sigh, sitting up from your chair. Your 15 minute break was sadly over, and you still had 4 hours until your shift ended. 'Just four more hours Y/N, you can do this.' You thought to yourself. You nodded your head, and tied on your apron.

Walking out to the front of the restaurant, you sat at the hostess's booth, waiting for new customers to arrive. Eventually, an older looking couple entered. You sat up right away, and rushed over to greet them. "Welcome To Charli's Diner! How many people will be in your party today?" You chimed, waiting for a response. The woman responded, "Oh just us two. Make it quick, we don't have much time to be waiting." She snapped her fingers in your face, and you tried your best to hold your emotions back. With a forced smile, you nodded. "We actually have an open table for two! Right this way ma'am."

You lead them to their table, and you took out a notebook. "Can I get you guys started on any drinks today? Appetizers?" You smiled. "A water." The man responded. "I'll have the raspberry lemonade, and make it snappy." She snapped her fingers in your face once again. You nodded your head, trying not to burst. "I'll have those out shortly ma'am." She rolled her eyes, "You better." With a long sigh, you walked over to the drink station.

Grabbing two medium sized cups, you filled once with just ice water, and the other with ice, and then raspberry lemonade. You sighed, letting the two drinks sit there for a moment. You knew you couldn't take the stress of this job for much longer. It was killing you. You just hoped you could find something else, before it got to be too much.

Letting out a small groan, you grabbed a small circular tray, and sat both drinks on top. You picked up the tray and started hurrying over to the older couple's table. The woman gave you a glare, and you tried your best to ignore it. Her dull, grey eyes continued to glare at you, and you felt your stomach start to twist and turn. Picking up the water, you sat it down in front of the man, and then you did the same with the raspberry lemonade with the woman. "Here you guys go! Are you guys ready to order?" The woman rolled her eyes yet again, "Finally, it took you long enough. You suck at your job." She scoffed. "I'll have the Caesar Salad. I want it done quick. He'll have the same." She snapped. Writing it down, you nodded with a fake smile. "Sure thing ma'am, I'll have it out as soon as possible."

Walking to the kitchen, you handed the chef the piece of paper, and he nodded. Standing there, you sighed. Customers like these were the reason you hated this job. It sucked. Minutes later, the chef snapped at you. "Earth to Y/N. The salads are done. Go serve them." You nodded with a blank expression, and took the tray out to the couple.

Setting both of the salads down, you smiled at both of them. "Enjoy! Is there anything else I can get for you guys?" The woman sighed, "No, now please leave us alone." She flicked her wrist, motioning you to leave. You nodded, and walked away.

You walked back over to the hostess's booth, and slouched back into the seat. It was taking everything you had not to breakdown and sob. Your hands were shaking, and you tried to calm down. Thoughts filled your head. You were 20 now, it was 2022. You needed to stop overreacting. That's what you thought. You weren't a kid anymore, but sometimes you wish you were one again.