10 - Home In Florence

Start from the beginning

"Hmm? Oh, well, just study of the human form, really. I've always been fascinated by it," he replied, motioning to his desk. She raised a curious brow before abandoning her canvas to come over to the desk where he showed her a bundle of papers. On them were a great deal of sketches of various parts of the body; faces of all ages, muscular torsos, toned arms, sculpted legs, and a full body of one man. Actually, all of them were of the male form, and most were quite young except for a few of the heads. She couldn't help grinning a little as she gave her friend a wry look.

"I take it no women wanted to pose nude for you?"

"Well, ah, that is one reason, but I simply find the male form far superior to study—no offense, of course. The female body just does not hold as much interest."

"Frankly, I find the male form far more interesting than the female as well," Catherine laughed, and expected the painter to do so as well. However, when she looked to her silent companion she found discomfort rather than amusement. Certainly there was worry, and she didn't really understand why. It had just been a joke, and she knew the artist had been thought to have been gay so why?

The redhead mentally groaned and slapped herself as she remembered exactly why. Homosexuality was frowned upon during this time by society, although not too much was done about it—not yet. Leonardo had mentioned he'd had to deal with the authorities for some "incident", and though he had never mentioned why, she'd suspected it had been some accusation against him. However, she'd only thought it might have been a jealous compatriot trying to ruin him, not about homosexuality. Thankfully, the accusations had been dropped thanks to some involvement of outside source, so Leonardo had said it was nothing to worry about. Yet here she was inadvertently bringing it back up, and being so careless; not even considering he would still be upset by it. How could he not? Punishments could be so harsh here and it could have ruined his art—his life!

"Oh my God—Leo, no! I'm so sorry! I didn't mean anything by that!" she began, reaching over to grab his arm.

He waved her off, but his smile was forced, "No, no—it is alright. I was just thinking about something else. No need to worry."

"No, Leonardo, I'm so sorry. I should have figured it out by now—I'm so, so sorry. I swear I didn't mean any harm by it. I honestly don't care what your preferences are. I promise. It doesn't bug me, and I would never say anything. Hell, if you need to, just say I'm your whore or something—or—or I don't know. But if someone tries to do anything, the least I can do is be an excuse for you or a way to get them off your back," Catherine continued, hoping she hadn't ruined the man's opinion of her. It may have only been a few weeks now, but she felt she had a true friend in the artist, and she knew he considered her a friend, too, or she was pretty sure he did. They'd enjoyed every day she was able to spend in his place, which wasn't nearly as long as she wanted. It would be for hours at a time, though, and there was never a moment they didn't get along. She knew others had seen her come and go, so the idea could work, although really it was to make up for her blunder and hopefully make him see she honestly did mean absolutely nothing by it. She didn't care what his preferences were and would never consider outing him.

The artist sighed, but touched her hand with a more genuine smile, "Forgive me. I know you only meant well. I... the wound is still fresh, if you will. I am quick to react even though you jest. And... I thank-you, for your offer. I do not think—and certainly I do not hope—I will have to use it. I would never wish nor want or like to call you a whore—you are far from it, and you are my friend."

"Still, it's there if you need it. I would hate for some asshole to try and disgrace you just because they're jealous or spiteful or something."

"As would I, but I truly dislike confrontation. I would avoid it entirely if I could," he sighed, shaking his head, and then started to organize his desk some. She helped him, going to the other side, and putting what she saw were alike with each other.