xv. 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐛𝐞𝐚𝐮𝐭𝐲 𝐚𝐧𝐝 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐛𝐫𝐚𝐢𝐧𝐬

"Bye, Wink

"Bye, Wink." Jude kissed the top of Winkles head, pulling his shoes on his feet. He made sure to lock the door, his dad working late for the night. Jude shoved his book and flashlight into the basket on his bike, kicking off as he road through the trailer park. He knew he had to get to the mall quick, despite in the back of his head knowing there'd be a delay.

"Man of the hour." Lucas whistled when Jude road up next to him, Will, Max, and Corey. Corey was Max's friend friend the skate park, dragging him along most of the time. Jude didn't mind him, a bit shy and didn't always know when Jude wasn't being serious, but he liked him.

"Aw, have you been talking about me, Lucas?" Jude gave a cheeky grin, dropping his bike to the ground. "I feel so special."

"Oh, we've been talking about you, for sure." Max agreed.

"Not the best things, though." Corey admitted with a guilty look.

"Definitely not the best things." Will agreed.

"What? You've found something wrong with me?" Jude gapped in disbelief, taking his book and flashlight from the basket. "Please, do tell. I've been trying to find something."

"Get out of here." Max shoved his head to the side, getting a laugh. "Mikes not with you?"

"Probably off, skipping through meadows or sharing milkshakes with my lovely cousin." Jude exhaled with a raise of one eyebrow. "Michael Wheeler is the least of my worries."

"Do you still think he stole Little Woman? Jude, he did not." Lucas gapped with a shake of his head.

"I know for a fact he did." the Mackenzie boy pointed with a knowing look. "He's evil! Spawn of satin."

"Well, that spawn of satin, is coming this way." Corey pointed out, nodding backwards as Jude turned, seeing Mike peddling their way. He sighed, watching his grown out hair flop in the wind, yellow usually being a color Jude hated until these very moments.

"You're late." Lucas said in annoyance.

"Sorry." Mike hurried to jump off his bike.

"Again." Will pointed out. "We're gonna miss the opening."

"Yeah, if you keep whining about it. Let's go!" Mike cut in quickly, looking to Jude. "Why'd you bring a book and flashlight?"

"Because I was thinking we'd all be here on time so I could read while the previews played." Jude mocked, keeping up with his pace as they walked through the mall. "But, no, of course not."

"Let me guess. You were busy." Lucas smacked his lips to mimic kissing noises.

"Oh, yeah, real mature, Lucas." Mike rolled his eyes. "I didn't know Corey was coming."

"Max invited me." he said, staying near her and Lucas.

"Yeah, I did." Max said confidently.

"Oh, El, I wish we could make out forever, and never hang out with any of our friends." Lucas continued to mock on, making Jude turn and hit him with his book. "Ow. Sorry, you want me to add you in?"