familiar

—

"You know... all this running is starting to help me realize why Carter doesn't do it." Leilani panted out.

"You lost them?" Derek questioned, ignoring Leilani's voice.

"Oh, that's fine. Just pretend I'm not here." The girl scoffed.

"Yeah, I kinda had to." Scott answered Derek's question, also choosing to ignore Leilani.

"Wasn't exactly the plan." Derek said.

"Neither was me helping you. But here I am." Leilani said, her words quickly gathering Scott's attention.

He did feel a little bad that even though both Leilani and Carter said they didn't want to get involved, they were still nice enough to help.

"I know, i'm sorry." He spoke softly, looking down at her with an apologetic look before he turned back to his phone to continue speaking with Derek,

"Which is why i think we should stick together. Trust me, he's too strong, too fast, and way too angry for one person to handle. We've got to do this together."

"Look, I'm at the trails by the entrance to the preserve. Can you meet me here?" Derek asked.

"Yeah. Just got to drop something off first." He agreed, looking at the two kids he and the Lewis girl just saved.

•••

Carter Stone is a lot of things but a runner is definitely not one of them.

When she found out that Derek and Scott were going to actually look for Boyd and Cora, Derek's mystery sister, she immediately declined. Not that they offered her, they knew she wasn't going to run but they could use her assistance else where. And that was with Stiles.

"I still don't understand what you're calling me for? Or how you got my number?" Carter spoke to the person on the other line.

"None of that matters, okay? I'm coming to get you." The person said with a frustrated sigh.

"Um... no, you are not. I don't like Lydia and I refuse to be in her presence." Carter shrugged, not that he could see that.

Stiles couldn't help but roll his eyes. To think he has a crush on this girl is absolutely hilarious. The one person he likes is just as stubborn as he is.

"Too late. I'm already outside. And I suggest you hurry up before I decide to honk and possibly wake your father up from his peaceful rest." The boy said with a smirk.

Carter looked out her window with a scowl on her face and she locked eyes with Stiles from his jeep. "I hate you."

"I know you do. Now let's go." He replied before hanging up.

•••

"Jesus Christ." Leilani blew out of breath.

The girl in front of Leilani looked at her with wide eyes.

"Are you okay?" Leilani asked her, her voice soft so she wouldn't scare her more than she already was.

"What?" Caitlin's face showed nothing but shock at and possibly fear.

"Are you alright? You know what? It doesn't even matter. You need to get out of here, okay? Get out of the woods." Leilani told the girl, quickly ushering her away.

•••

"Lydia? Lydia?" Stiles yelled, getting no response. He turned to Carter, only to see the girl staring into space.

"What the hell are you doing?" He asked her. He walked closer to the witch, starting to grow concerned for her. He gasped softly as she pushed past him,

"Lydia?" She mumbled out in confusion.

The Martin girl's head snapped away from the dead body. She gasped loudly. She knew what Carter was but it was extremely weird and surprising to see the violet eye color up so close.

From Carter's point of view and aura surrounded Lydia. A bright pink one to be specific.

She didn't know what it meant and she didn't intend to find out either. What Lydia had going on was Lydia's business, not Carter's.

Before Lydia could say anything, she watched as the witch's attention goes to the dead body in the pool.

Her bright eyes began to fade as she turned around to look at the two, "That's not good."

Stiles stared at her with furrowed brows before sighing, "Yeah, all right. I'm gonna call my dad."

"I already called 911." Lydia stated matter-of-factly.

"You called the police before you called me?" Stiles' voice raised in disbelief.

"I'm supposed to call you first when i find a dead body?"

"YESSSS"

"Right. Well while you two argue. I'm gonna make a call."

•••

"It wasn't them. It couldn't have been." Jessica Stewart said as she examined at the wounds of the deceased person lying before them.

"How do you know?" Carter asked her as the two drowned out the voice of Stiles Stilinski.

The teen was currently on the phone with a stressed out Scott McCall. She had called her friend to come look at dead body seeing as when she gets older she wants to be a pathologist.

What better time to give her her first assignment than now?

"From what i've seen, and what Leilani had showed of her claws, it would nothing like this if they did it. That and the fact that someone clearly had it out for this kid." Jessica explained.

"His head is bashed in." Carter pointed out.

Jessica raised her brow at the obvious statement, "I see that."

She watched closely as the girl thought back to her mother's books. Carter swore to herself that she had read something about this but could not forgive out what. Something just felt so familiar about it.

Her thoughts are cut off by Stiles,

"Scott, who else is going around ripping throats out?"

Carter sighed, shaking her head slowly before turning around to face the boy. For now, she would have to settle with ignoring the painful feeling growing in her stomach.