FIVE. now we've got problems...

- ˏˋ ✎ ˊˎ -

- ˏˋ  ✎  ˊˎ -

- ˏˋ ✎ ˊˎ -

1995, MIKHAIL GORBACHEV PRIMARY SCHOOL

         ━━ MALIA WATCHED WITH CURIOSITY as Pietro speeded around a track, in the middle of a race with another boy his age. Since she was so much younger than him, she could only watch from behind a fence, her fingers resting in the small holes of the metal wires.

"Мой брат собирается побить его." (My brother's gonna win.) A Romani girl with curly brown hair that barely passed her shoulders teased. She was Pietro's age, and Pietro hated her. Malia quickly placed the face with a name.

"Кезия, перестань. Пьетро затащит Леандера в грязь. Возьмите его на прогулку, как собаку." (Kezia, stop it. Pietro is gonna drag Leander through the mud. Take him on a walk like a dog.) Malia spat out, eying the girl.

"Ну, вы могли бы также посмотреть сейчас. Они на последнем круге." (Well, you might as well look now. They're on their last lap.) Kezia pointed to the two boys.

They were dashing to the long, white finish line that awaited. It was a neck-and-neck, and the cheers pushed them farther. The girls cried out for their respective family member, Kezia's voice traveling farther than Malia's.

Leander wasn't pushed hard enough, however, because Pietro's foot soared over the line, causing the children to cheer in celebration.

"Да, заткнись!" (Yeah, shut up!) Malia stomped on the older girl's foot, causing her to yell out in pain. She then climbed the fence, which really wasn't that high in hindsight. "Pietro!" She ran over to her older cousin, launching into a hug.

"Малия? Тебе не положено быть здесь!" (Malia? You're not supposed to be here!) Pietro accepted the hug while looking down at the girl. "Так? Мне все равно, ты выиграл!" (So? I don't care, you won!) She exclaimed happily.

"Вернись на свою игровую площадку!" (Go back to your playground!)

"Отлично." (Fine.) She pouted.

Over the next several weeks, Malia ran. She practiced running everywhere. Pietro's speed fascinated her so much, and she began to look up to him more because of it.

Although Pietro isn't the most observant in the family, he did notice when Malia constantly asked for water. So, concerned for her, he felt that he had to intervene.