CHAPTER SEVENTEEN: I WALK THE LINE

Comenzar desde el principio

"She didn't?"

"Nope. She probably didn't even really know that people were starting to riot outside of the gates of Versailles. That's how disconnected she was from the people."

He blinks. She's clearly thought a lot about this, maybe written about it. Her eyes sparkle whenever she talks about something she really loves. He takes a deep breath and smiles, leaning over to kiss her. Dahlia giggles.

"What?"

"And you're telling me you never graduated university?" He asks.

She chuckles and shakes her head.

"Hey, you said you don't have to have a college education to be smart."

He smirks.

"Have you ever been to France?"

She shakes her head and James pauses, biting his lip.

"Would you like to go?"

Her eyes go wide.

"Now?"

"No," he laughs. "Eventually."

"You would fly me to Paris?" She laughs.

He doesn't see what's so funny. James would do anything for her. He loves her that much. He reaches over and brushes her hair away from her face.

"Of course I would. Any time you wanted to go."

She runs a hand through her hair.

"Well, it'll be easier to take a vacation now that we've hired someone new."

He quirks a brow. James tries not to meddle too much in Dahlia's business. She's clearly intelligent, talented, and she knows what she's doing in many respects.

"Who?"

"This guy named Scott."

A flare of jealousy erupts in his chest. She catches it, judging from the look on her face. He thought he was almost unreadable, but clearly not.

"What?" He asks.

"You're jealous."

"I'm not," he murmurs, grabbing a pretzel and shoving it into her mouth. "Let's watch the movie."

"No! You're totally jealous!" She laughs. She puts the bag on the coffee table and climbs into his lap. James chews with his eyes fixed on the TV. He is jealous. He's always been a jealous person. What's his is his and he doesn't like to share. It's been that way ever since he was a little boy.

He feels Dahlia's soft lips on his neck, nipping at his throat and his jawline. His eyelids flutter and he sighs. She giggles.

"James."

"What?"

"Talk to me?"

"About what?"

She's going for the softer approach, kissing him and toying with him so that he'll break. He finds it mildly amusing, but the thought of some guy named Scott hitting on her makes his blood boil a little bit. He wants to show Dahlia who she belongs to. She would tell him that she doesn't belong to anyone, that she's free to make her own decisions, and in many senses, that is true. He's not angry with her. She can hire anyone he wants.

That guy just better know his fucking place.

"Why are you jealous when you know you're the only thing that gets me going?" Her voice is a husky whisper that sends chills down his spine.

Dahlia's hand massages the front of his pants. James bites down on his bottom lip. He can feel his cock twitching in his pants and sighs softly.

"Dahlia."