kageyama t. | self care king

Comenzar desde el principio

"does it hurt?" he spoke up once again. the little machine was kinda loud which led him to wonder whether or not it was painful. y/n smiled and let out a soft chuckle.

"no, it doesn't hurt. you can barely feel it. if anything it kinda tickles."

they sat in silence after that. kageyama was too focused on watching the tech take care of his girlfriend's nails and y/n didn't want to disturb his train of thought. his eyes never wandered, except for the couple of minutes he took picking out the color for her nails. it was nice to see him so interested in the process considering how bad y/n felt for letting him join her when he would usually be home around that time. he shot her down the second her first apology left her lips, saying that if he didn't want to be there with her then he would've gone home. he even placed a warm hand on her knee in reassurance and occasionally tapped his fingers in a rhythmless pattern. it wasn't until they were close to finishing up the polish on her nails when y/n spoke up again.

"do you want to try it out?" kageyama turned to face her in wonder. yes, he wanted to know how it felt to have his nails maintained in such a proper manner. sure he wanted to experience this with her at his side. but was it really okay for him to do?

at his moment of hesitation she nudged his knee with hers, "you don't have to if you don't want to. i only asked because you looked interested and i know how you like to take proper care of your nails."

"are you sure it's okay?"

"of course! i have enough money for both of us and it shouldn't take too much time. but that's only if you want to, no one's forcing you."

he didn't need to be forced. after another moment of thought, kageyama realized there really was no harm in trying it out. and so they swapped places, kageyama taking a seat in y/n's chair and vice versa. while having his nails treated, he realized how right she was about the whole thing. the little drill didn't hurt, the feeling of having his cuticles trimmed was satisfying, and picking a color was harder than it should've been. because of this, he couldn't help the relief that rushed through him when y/n and the nail tech told him that a clear polish was an option for him. thankfully for him, they just took it as him not wanting any sort of color at all rather than his own indecisiveness. soon enough they were finished and kageyama couldn't stop admiring how clean his nails looked.

y/n walked by his side on her way home that night, talking about whatever came to mind. once at her doorstep they exchanged 'thank you's, y/n thanking him for going with her and kageyama for introducing him to yet another thing he would've never known about. turns out the afternoon had been helpful for both of them. they were finally able to spend time together after a couple of hectic weeks preparing for the preliminary tournament. and despite it being a unique way to get some alone time with her boyfriend, she was glad he agreed to join her.

almost an entire week passed since that day and it was safe to say that there was something different about kageyama. his teammates noticed it the following monday but it didn't become concerning until they started practice wednesday afternoon. it wasn't a new thing for kageyama to be very meticulous about his game play, always striving for the best of everything. recently, though, they noticed that he was in ridiculously good shape. there was something about the way he carried himself at practice, so gracefully and confidently but not like he was in his first year. y/n noticed it too along with the way he would occasionally glance at his hands whenever he felt like he made a particularly good toss.

eventually the team had come to realize exactly why he was acting the way he was. it hadn't been too big of a surprise, considering they knew about his little nail care routine, but they did find it odd as to why he suddenly thought that was the way to do it. of course there was the usual teasing from tsukishima but besides that, no one paid any mind to his methods of nail treatment. after all, they just needed him to be in his best form to compete and the way he went about it didn't matter too much.

"you look like you've been playing even better these past few days," y/n smiled, taking a hold of his hand. their long practice had finally ended and they were making their way to her house so she could help him with some of the homework he was struggling with.

"yeah, my hands have been feeling good. i think we should do this more often," he looked down at their joined hands and gave a light squeeze. she laughed, lifting their hands to look at his fingers.

"maybe not that often, tobio. you should be able to go a couple of weeks without them getting too bad. we could go like once a month or before big tournaments though, if that'll help."

he nodded in agreement. that was probably for the best, he didn't even have the money to go very often anyways, "actually, that's a better idea."

y/n couldn't shake the smile off her face and with an afterthought, spoke up one more time, "we can be like the self care king and queen. but only with our nails 'cause i'm kinda bad at any other kind of self care. either way it'll be our own little thing."

kageyama smiled down at her before pressing his lips to her forehead with a gentle kiss. he wasn't opposed to the idea of being called a 'king' if it was in that context. and the idea of having something like that to call their own was appealing even in itself. hopefully, he thought, next time it'll be easier to pick a color.

this idea has been sitting in my line up for a while so i'm glad i finally got to write it. like i said before this is very lightly edited, so if you found errors, please let me know!

p.s. if you noticed the new cover, please know the picture used is not mine. the only thing i own is the entire edit itself (words and stickers) not the photo. credit for the art is given solely to the artist.