kageyama t. | self care king

x fem!reader
word count: 1841
notes: very lightly edited

kageyama tobio had never been in a relationship. it was by choice, of course, and not a surprise. after all, he was always caught up in his dedication to volleyball to even think about making time for a girl. that is until he started his first year at karasuno high school and encountered beauty with the name of y/n. it was a strange feeling for him, knowing that he couldn't do anything to stop his racing heart every time he held a conversation with the girl. and there was no way he could avoid her, she was one of the two managers for the karasuno boys volleyball club. eventually he was able to work up enough courage to tell her how he felt and much to his relief, y/n excitedly told him she felt the same.

now, at the start of their second year in high school, kageyama tobio was about seven months deep into his first ever relationship. it was a learning curve for the both of them, having to adjust to everything that came with being and having a significant other. even then, he never found himself struggling in terms of making room in his busy day to spend time with her. kageyama quickly realized that he was depriving himself of the company of another person for nearly his entire life, whether by choice or not, and their relationship was kind of like a blessing in disguise for him. not that it was all that disguised, he knew one hundred percent how blessed he was to have y/n in his life.

more often than not, y/n would receive text messages throughout the day asking her what she was doing or random pictures that reminded him of her. at first she thought it was weird, having him constantly asking her those types of questions but she quickly learned that he only did it out of pure curiosity. kageyama had only ever lived in a world that was volleyball––with a side of school––so he wanted to know what life was like for someone else, what it looked like to not be so wrapped up in sports. and since then y/n made sure to ask him to tag along with her whenever she had plans to go out for the day. in their short time together, she introduced him to multiple new restaurants and café's she liked to go to, took him to watch almost every movie that came out in theaters, and helped him find things that interested him that weren't related to volleyball.

it was a friday afternoon when kageyama followed y/n to her nail appointment right after practice. usually she would try to schedule a time in advance and let him know that they wouldn't be able to hang out. this time, however, she had been so caught up with her manager duties that she couldn't set aside a specific date to go. she was just glad that her nail salon never really got busy on fridays. and if he was being completely honest, he had been wanting to go with her for a while now. he really liked how neat her nails looked and wanted to know how she managed to keep them in such good condition.

the salon was nearly empty when the teenagers walked in. y/n greeted the girl at the front desk before moving on to sit at the empty chair in front of her favorite nail tech. she motioned for kageyama to follow her, pulling an empty chair next to hers so he can sit and keep her company. it wasn't hard for her to notice the interest in his eyes and smiled when she saw him watching the entire process with a curious gaze. he was even asking her questions about why some things were done to her nails.

"what is she doing with that?" he whispered in her direction, eyes still locked on her hands, when the nail tech picked up the small drill filer.

"she's gonna clean up my cuticle area." she lifted her other hand towards him and motioned to her fingers. when she had his attention, she used her thumb to trace over the area she was talking about on her other fingers, "see how this is growing over my nail? it's just dead skin so she's gonna use that thing to kinda take some of it off."

kageyama nodded, mouth forming a small 'oh', and looked back at her other hand watching as the nail tech did exactly what y/n just explained. while he liked to take proper care of his own nails, he never would have imagined that there was so much that could be done.