bokuto k. | i love you

x fem!reader
word count: 1578

for the entirety of their relationship, the couple had never been known to be shy about their emotions. both felt comfortable enough with each other after three years together that they often spoke what they felt without so much as a second thought. of course, their personalities played a big role in it but for the most part, neither of them felt as though they had something to hide. stolen kisses, soft hugs, constant cuddles, and loud declarations of their love had become a sort of routine for the couple. neither could go more than a couple of hours without some form of affection so it ultimately benefited the both of them. pranks were also quite common amongst the pair and their friend groups. when they weren't pranking each other, they found ways to play tricks on their friends just for kicks and giggles. so it wasn't a shock when  y/n decided it had been far too long since she played a prank on her beautiful, loving boyfriend.

it was a saturday afternoon and as previously mentioned to bokuto, y/n was headed out to hang out with some cousins that had gone out to visit and would be leaving within the next couple of days. it was the perfect time to execute her plan after watching one too many tik tok challenges that inspired her next prank.

"alright, i think i should be going now. i don't want to be late and i have no idea how long it'll take to get to the restaurant," she sighed standing from the couch in bokuto's living room where they had been watching a movie.

as he walked her to the door and she slipped on her shoes, y/n wondered how she would go about executing her plan. she thought about just walking out of the door but decided that would be a little too harsh and she wasn't planning on being straight rude. she hadn't realized she was so lost in her thoughts until bokuto's voice brought her back into reality.

"be safe, have fun, and text me when you get home so i can go over and watch that new show like we planned to before, okay?" he wrapped her up in a loving hug and she debated whether or not she should actually go through with the prank.

she squeezed his waist tightly, as she frequently did, and whispered into his chest, "i will. it shouldn't take too long but i'll text you anyways."

"i love you," this is it. oh gosh, why am i doing this?

y/n hummed and planted a soft, quick kiss on his temple before rushing out the door, hoping to decrease the chances of her chickening out and shouting just how much she loved him. of course, she didn't miss his voice calling out to her questioning why she didn't return his sentiments.

like she expected, time flew by and soon enough it had been just over two and a half hours that her family spent together. while she enjoyed catching up and laughing with her cousins, y/n couldn't help but let her mind wander to her boyfriend and how excited she was to go home so they could spend even more time together. it didn't help that she was feeling guilty over the prank she pulled, even more so now that she was out than expected, and all she wanted to do was rush over and apologize repeatedly. after deciding that they had been sitting in the café for far too long, the group of teenagers, and some in their twenties, agreed that it was time to go home so they could finish packing up their things and get some rest. y/n had just walked out the door of the restaurant and started to pull her phone out to text bokuto when it suddenly vibrated in her hand, signaling a message from one of her closest friends.

from: akaashi

i have no idea what prank you tried to pull this time but bokuto didn't take it very lightly. i think you might want to talk to him before he overthinks everything more than he already has. you'll have to tell me what happened to make him act like this, if he weren't so distressed it could be funny.

her heart dropped. she had already been feeling guilty enough and now the message from akaashi only made her feel even worse. y/n began to wonder why she even went through with the stupid plan in the first place, she knew how they were and how deeply they felt about eachother. regardless, what's done is done and now all she could do was race to his house to reassure him, and herself, that she didn't mean anything by what happened. it didn't take too long before y/n was standing outside of bokuto's house, knocking on the door waiting impatiently to be let in by someone, anyone. his mother opened the door and with one look at the girl standing in distress on their doorstep, let her inside quickly letting her know that the boy was in his bedroom. with a heavy heart, guilty conscience, and soft footsteps she made her way to the room they spent so much time in and softly knocked on the door.

"kou? darling, can i come in?" y/n waited for a sound from the boy before sliding the door open gently and making her way to his bed where she found him lying on his side, wrapped tightly in his blanket.

sitting next to him with a small frown, she brought a hand up to his head letting her fingers comb through his hair, in a way she knew he loved, and watched him slowly crack his eyes open to look up at her. she thought it would be best to let him say what was on his mind first, so she held her lips tightly shut as he adjusted them on his bed. y/n was now lying on her back with bokuto snuggled on her chest, all of his body weight on her but she didn't mind. she loved when they layed like that, she thought it was the perfect opportunity to run her fingers over his muscular back and plant soft kisses on bokuto's head while using her other hand to gently play with his soft hair. she knew very well that bokuto liked it just as much as she did, if not more, for those very same reasons. after a couple minutes passed by, bokuto decided it was time to break the silence that surrounded the couple.

"do you not love me anymore?" he lifted his head off y/n's chest to look her in the eyes while a slight frown danced across his lips.

"of course i love you, kou! i never meant to make you feel this way, i'm sorry. it was all supposed to be a stupid prank that i absolutely messed up. i am so so unbelievably sorry. i promise, i love you with everything that i am and i will keep loving you until you tell me you don't want me to anymore," she placed her hands firmly on his face, slightly squeezing his cheeks, and gave him a loving kiss that she knew would show him just how true her words were. it was a soft kiss that neither pushed into anything more, knowing that it was exactly what the both of them needed.

"that's good to hear, i thought you were angry at me for some reason," he sighed after pulling away from their kiss and ran his finger along her eyebrow, "and just so you know, you are never allowed to stop loving me. i'm pretty sure we already established that we were going to spend the rest of our lives together."

y/n huffed out a laugh, knowing that they had talked about it but hadn't thought he still felt the same way he did when they first had the conversation just under a year ago. bokuto positioned himself back onto her chest and put on the show they were planning to watch before she fucked up the simple prank. it wasn't until a couple of episodes in when bokuto lifted his head again and suddenly asked, "can i see some of those videos you said you got the idea from?"

they both spent the next couple of hours watching tik tok after seeing how the couples online reacted to the same prank she couldn't execute successfully. soon enough the sun had set and the couple had changed up the way they were laying after deciding to get ready for bed. now, instead of bokuto laying on y/n's chest, she was cuddled up to his side, laying her head on his shoulder while he turned his head ever so slightly to plant soft kisses on the girl's forehead.

"you do know that i love you, right?" she whispered into the darkness as she ran her fingers mindlessly across bokuto's chest, only knowing her boyfriend was awake because of the way his fingers traced her temple.

"of course, my love, and i love you," he smiled and gave her one last kiss before the both of them fell asleep in eachothers embrace. at only eighteen years old, their dreams were as clear as day and no one would stand in the way of what they aspired to be, successful together for the rest of their lives.

so this was clearly inspired by that trend on tik tok where the girls don't tell their s/o's they love them back before the partner goes to leave. in this case, it didn't turn out to be a very nice experience. anyways hope you liked it and remember, always feel free to request whenever :)